Fluoride concentration in Peruvian salts and the standardization of analysis with specific electrode by the direct method
According to the Peruvian legislation, salt for human consumption should contain 200-250 mg F/kg, but there
is limited data showing whether this requirement is being accomplished. Aim: In this pilot study, we evaluated the fluoride concentration in samples of salt marketed in Lima, Peru, using a standardized protocol with ion-specific electrode by direct method (ISE). Methods: Seven 1 kg salt packages of four brands were purchased in two supermarkets of Lima. Six aliquots of each package were weighed and dissolved in the proportion of 0.025 g/mL of water. Duplicates of 1.0 mL of these solutions were mixed with 1.0 mL of TISAB II and fluoride concentration was determined with ISE calibrated with standards fluoride solutions ranging from 0.25 to 16.0 μg F/mL. The ionic strength of the standards was adjusted with p.a NaCL (25 mg/mL). In addition, triplicates of 15 g of each salt package were fractionated in a set of sieves (0.590 to 0.177
mm) to determine the homogeneity of fluoride concentration in salt. Results: In four packages the mean fluoride (mean±SD,n=6) concentration (mg F/kg) was in agreement to the Peruvian regulation (214.5±10.4; 221.8±14.3; 226.9±19.1 and 237.2±52.0 mg F/kg), but in 3 packages it was lower (145.2±7.9; 145.7±23.3 and 158.4±20.6 mg F/kg). Variability in fluoride concentration was observed within the same brand
and among brands. Also, the fluoride concentration was not homogeneous in none of the salt samples, ranging from 72.0 to 1449.7 mg F/kg. Conclusion: The findings suggest that the manufacturing and sanitary surveillance of fluoridated salt in Peru should be improved.
century - the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol.
2003 Dec;31 Suppl 1:3-23.
2. Petersen PE, Lennon M. Effective use of fluorides for the prevention of dental caries in the 21st
century: the WHO approach. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004 Oct;32(5):319-21.
3. Jones S, Burt BA, Petersen PE, Lennon MA. The effective use of fluorides in public health. Bull World
Health Organ. 2005 Sep;83(9):670-6.
4. Marthaler TM, Petersen PE. Salt fluoridation - an alternative in automatic prevention of dental caries.
Int Dent J. 2005 Dec;55(6):351-8.
5. O’Mullane DM, Baez RJ, Jones S, Lennon MA, Petersen PE, Rugg-Gunn AJ. Fluoride and Oral Health.
Community Dent Health. 2016 Jun;33(2):69-99.
6. Gillespie GM, Baez R. Development of salt fluoridation in the Americas. Schweiz Monatsschr
7. Pollick HF. Salt fluoridation: a review. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2013 Jun;41(6):395-7, 400-4.
8. Sosa Rosales M de la C, García Melian M, Gómez A, González I, Mojáiber de la Peña A. [Surveillance
System of the program of salt fluoridation of human consumption in Cuba]. Rev Cubana Salud
Pública. 2004 Sep-Dic [cited 2017 Sep 29]; 30(4). Available from: http://scielo.sld.cu/scielo.
9. Girón Álvarez BE, Márquez Hernández RV, Sermeño Camacho KJ. [Presence and concentration
of fluoride in salt brands marketed in El Salvador] Crea Cienc. 2005 [cited 2017 Sep 29];5(2)5-9.
Available from: http://dsuees.uees.edu.sv/xmlui/handle/20.500.11885/104. Spanish.
10. Martínez-Mier EA, Soto Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Stookey GK, Zero DT, Margineda J. [Evaluation of
fluoride content in fluoridated table salt]. Salud Publica Mex. 2004 May-Jun;46(3):197-8. Spanish.
11. Maupomé Carvantes G, Lanchero Jaramillo D, Andrade Delgado LC, Juárez Reyes PL, Pérez López R,
Navarro Sánchez W, et al. [Fluoride contained in salt for human consumption distributed in Mexico
City] Bol Of Sanit Panam. 1995 Sep;119(3):195-201. Spanish
12. Hernández-Guerrero JC, De La Fuente-Hernández J, Jiménez MD, Ledesma-Montes C, Castañeda-
Castaneira E, Molina-Frechero N. Fluoride content in table salt distributed in Mexico City, Mexico. J
Public Health Dent. 2008;68(4):242–5. Spanish
13. Franco AM, Saldarriaga A, Gonzalez MC, Martignon S, Arbelaez MI, Ocampo A. [Fluoride concetration
in kitchen salt in four Colombian cities] Revista CES Odontología Vol. 16. 2003. p. 21–6. Spanish
14. Tovar Valencia S, Misnaza Castrillon S. Perspectiva del uso del flúor vs caries y fluorosis
dental [Technical document on the internet] Colombia: Minsalud; 2016 [cited 2017 Sep 29]
Available from: http://www.minsalud.gov.co/sites/rid/Lists/Bibliotecadigital/RIDE//VS/PP/ENT/
15. Sunohara ASA. [Mapping of fluoridated salt in markets of the province of Trujillo using the geographic
information system]. Rev Estomatol Hered. 2006;16(1):5–8. Spanish
16. Ministerio de Salud Perú [homepage]. Lima: Minsa Resolución ministerial No 0131-85-SA-DVM; 1985
[cited 2017 Set 29] Available from: ftp://ftp2.minsa.gob.pe/descargas/Prevencion_salud/salud_
17. Ministerio de Salud Perú [homepage] Lima: Minsa Norma técnica Peruana Sal para Consumo
Humano. 2006 [cited 2017 Set 29] Available from: ftp://minsa.gob.pe/normaslegales/2006
18. Cury JA, Guimarães LO, Moreira BH [Fluoridation of cooking salt: a method for familiar use]. Rev Ass
Paul Cirurg Dent. 1983;37(5):452-455. Portuguese
19. Martínez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Margineda J, Zero DT. Evaluation of the direct and
diffusion methods for the determination of fluoride content in table salt. Community Dent Health.
20. Martínez-Mier EA, Cury JA, Heilman JR, Katz BP, Levy SM, Li Y. Development of gold standard ionselective
electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis. Caries Res. 2011;45(1):3-12
21. European Salt Producers Association. Sodium Chloride - Analytical Standard Determination of
Fluorides Potentiometric method [Technical document on the internet]. European Salt Producers
Association 2005 [cited 2017 Sep 29]. Available from:http://eusalt.com/sites/www.eusalt.com/files/
22. Campbell AD. Determination of fluoride in various matrices. Pure Appl Chem. 1987;59(5):695–702
23. Cury JA, Tenuta LMA. How to maintain a cariostatic fluoride concentration in the oral environment.
Adv Dent Res. 2008 Jul 1;20(1):13–6
24. Burt BA. The Changing Patterns of Systemic Fluoride Intake. J Dent Res. 1992 May 1;71(5):1228–37. Review.
25. Rodrigues MH, Leite AL, Arana A, Villena RS, Forte FD, Sampaio FC, Buzalaf MA. Dietary fluoride
intake by children receiving different sources of systemic fluoride. J Dent Res. 2009 Feb;88(2):142-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.