Analysis in vitro of strength degradation comparing latex and non-latex elastics
Aim: This study was conducted in order to evaluate and compare the behavior of latex and non-latex elastics, as the loss of strength over time in vitro. Methods: The study evaluated 15 of each elastic material for the pre-selected times: 0, 1, 3, 12 and 24 hours. The rubber bands were transferred to the testing machine (EMIC DL-500 MF). The force values were recorded after stretching the elastic to a length of 25mm. Independent t-test was applied. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used to check the variation of the forces generated between those determined times. To identify between which times the difference was present, Tukey post- hoc test was accomplished. Results: As regards the initial forces (zero time), the values of force for non-latex elastic were slightly higher than the latex elastic. In subsequent times, the forces generated by the latex elastic showed higher values. Regarding the material degradation, at the end of 24 hours the highest percentage was observed for non-latex elastic.Conclusion: The latex elastic had a more stable behavior during the studied period compared with non-latex. Thus, it is suggested that the non-latex elastics should be changed more frequently and that larger initial forces must be applied than the latex elastics.
2. Wang T, Zhou G, Tan X, Dong Y. Evaluation of force degradation characteristics of orthodontic latex elastics in vitro and in vivo. Angle Orthod. 2007 Jul;77(4):688-93.
3. Kanchana P, Godfrey K. Calibration of force extension and force degradation characteristics of orthodontic latex elastics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2000 Sep;118(3):280-7.
4. Hanson M, Lobner D. In vitro neuronal cytotoxity of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elastics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004 Jul;126(1):65-70.
5. Aljhani AS, Aldrees AM. The effect of static and dynamics testing on orthodontic latex and non-latex elastics. Orthod Waves. 2010;69(3):117-22. doi: 10.1016/j.odw.2010.04.003.
6. Martínez-Colomer S, Gaton-Hernandez P, Romano FL, De Rossi A, Fukada SY, Nelson-Filho P, et al. Latex and nonlatex orthodontic elastics:In vitro and in vivo evaluations of tissue compatibility and surface structure. Angle Orthod. 2016 Mar;86(2):278-84. doi: 10.2319/111714-823.1.
7. Kersey ML, Glover KE, Heo G, Major PW. A comparison of dynamic and static testing of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elastics. Angle Orthod. 2003 Apr;73(2):181-6.
8. Russel KA, Milne AD, Khanna RA, Lee JM. In vitro assessment of the mechanical properties of latex and non-latex orthodontic elastics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001 Jul;120(1):36-44.
9. Jacobsen N, Hensten-Pettersen A. Changes in occupational health problems and adverse patient reactions in orthodontics form 1987 to 2000. Eur J Orthod. 2003 Dec;25(6):591-8.
10. Beattie S, Monaghan P. An in vitro study simulating effects of daily diet and patient elastic band change compliance on orthodontic latex elastics. Angle Orthod. 2004 Apr;74(2):234-9.
11. Fernandes DJ, Fernandes GMA, Artese F, Elias CN, Mendes AM. Force extension relaxation of medium force orthodontic latex elastics. Angle Orthod. 2011 Sep;81(5):812-9.
12. López N, Vicente A, Bravo LA, Calvo JL, Canteras M. In vitro study of force decay of latex and non-latex orthodontic elastics. Eur J Orthod. 2012 Apr;34(2):202-7. doi: 10.1093/ejo/cjq188.
13. Hwang CJ, Cha JY. Mechanical and biological comparison of latex and silicone rubber bands. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003 Oct;124(4):379-86.
14. Sauget PS, Stewart KT, Katona TR. The effect of pH levels on nonlatex vs latex interarch elastics. Angle Orthod. 2011 Nov;81(6):1070-4. doi: 10.2319/011811-34.1.
15. Leão Filho JCB, Gallo DB, Santana RM, Guariza-Filho O, Camargo ES, Tanaka OM. Influence of different beverages on the force degradation of intermaxillary elastics: an in vitro study. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013 Mar-Apr;21(2):145-9. doi: 10.1590/1678-7757201302256.
16. Pithon MM, Santana DA, Sousa KH, Farias IMAO. Does chlorhexidine in different formulations interfere with the force of orthodontic elastics? Angle Orthodontist. 2013 Mar;83(2):313-8. doi: 10.2319/061312-493.1.
17. Alavi S, Tabatabaie AR, Hajizadeh F, Ardekani AH. An In-vitro Comparison of Force Loss of Orthodontic Non-Latex Elastics. J Dent (Tehran). 2014 Jan;11(1):10-6.
18. Kamisetty SK, Nimagadda C, Begam MP, Nalamotu R, Srivastav T, Gs S. Elasticity in Elastics-An in-vitro study. J Int Oral Health. 2014 Apr;6(2):96-105.
19. Bishara SE, Andreasen GF. A comparison of time related forces between plastics alastiks and latex elastics. Angle Orthod. 1970 Oct;4(4):319-28.
20. Gioka C, Zinelis S, Eliades T, Eliades G. Orthodontic latex elastics: A force relaxation study. Angle Orthod. 2006 May;76(3):475-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.