Influence of aging on bond strength of artificial teeth to denture base acrylic resins
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the bond strengthof artificial teeth to different types of denture base resins whensubmitted to thermomechanical cycling (TMC). Methods: Sixtyartificial mandibular first molars (Trilux, Vipi) were randomlydivided into 3 groups according to denture base acrylic resins(Vipi Wave, Vipi Cril, and Vipi Cril Plus, Vipi). The teeth were fixedonto self-polymerizing acrylic resin bars (0.5 cm2 cross-sectionx 2 cm height), and the set was included in a metal flask usingdental stone/silicone. After the dental stone was set, the bar wasremoved, and the denture base resin was packed and processed according to the group studied (Vipi Wave: 180 W/20 minutes + 540W/5 minutes; Vipi Cril and Vipi Cril Plus: Water bath at 74oC for9h). After polymerization, the samples were divided into 2 groups (n=10), according to the TMC treatment received (simulation of 5 years of mastication or not). The samples were submitted to tensile bond strength test (1 mm/min), and the data (MPa) werestatistically analyzed (2-way ANOVA, Bonferroni, α=0.05). Thefracture interfaces were evaluated using a stereomicroscope (50x). Results: The bond strength results showed no statisticallysignificant difference (p>0.05) between the resins studied. TMC was significant (p<0.05), demonstrating lower values for the bond strength of artificial teeth to Vipi Cril Plus. The predominantfracture type was cohesive in resin. Conclusions: It was concluded that there is no difference in bond strength betweenartificial teeth and the resins used for denture base. However, TMC decreases the bond strength values of artificial teeth and crosslink thermo-polymerizable acrylic resin.
2. Barbosa DB, Barão VAR, Monteiro DR, Compagnoni MA, Marra J. Bond strength of denture teeth to acrylic resin: Effect of thermocycling and polymerisation methods. Gerodontology. 2008 Dec;25(4):237-44. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2008.00218.x.
3. Cunningham JL. Shear bond strength of resin teeth to heat-cured and light-cured denture base resin. J Oral Rehabil. 2000 Apr;27(4):312-6.
4. Kurt M, Sarac YS, Ural C, Sarac D. Effect of pre-processing methods on bond strength between acrylic resin teeth and acrylic denture base resin. Gerodontology. 2012 Jun;29(2):e357-62. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2011.00480.x.
5. Patil SB, Naveen BH, Patil NP. Bonding acrylic teeth to acrylic resin denture bases: a review. Gerodontology. 2006 Sep;23(3):131-9.
6. Chung K-H, Chung CY, Chung CY, Chan DCN. Effect of pre-processing surface treatments of acrylic teeth on bonding to the denture base. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 Apr;35(4):268-75. doi: 10.1111/j.1365- 2842.2007.01779.x.
7. Meng GK, Chung KH, Fletcher-Stark ML, Zhang H. Effect of surface treatments and cyclic loading on the bond strength of acrylic resin denture teeth with autopolymerized repair acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Apr;103(4):245-52. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3913(10)60038-8.
8. Yanikoglu DN, Duymus DZ, Bayindir DF. Comparative bond strengths of autopolymerising denture resin and light cured composite resin to denture teeth. Int Dent J. 2002 Feb;52(1):20-4.
9. Zuckerman GR. A reliable method for securing anterior denture teeth in denture bases. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Jun;89(6):603-7.
10. Saavedra G, Valandro LF, Leite FPP, Amaral R, Ozcan M, Bottino MA, et al. Bond strength of acrylic teeth to denture base resin after various surface conditioning methods before and after thermocycling. Int J Prosthodont. 2007 Mar-Apr;20(2):199-201.
11. de Chaves CAL, Regis RR, Machado AL, de Souza RF. Effect of ridge lap surface treatment and thermocycling on microtensile bond strength of acrylic teeth to denture base resins. Braz Dent J. 2009;20(2):127-31.
12. Sanders JL, Levin B, Reitz P V. Comparison of the adaptation of acrylic resin cured by microwave energy and conventional water bath. Quintessence Int. 1991 Mar;22(3):181-6.
13. Takahashi Y, Chai J, Takahashi T, Habu T. Bond strength of denture teeth to denture base resins. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Jan-Feb;13(1):59-65.
14. Drummond JL, Bapna MS. Static and cyclic loading of fiber-reinforced dental resin. Dent Mater. 2003 May;19(3):226-31.
15. Garoushi S, Lassila LVJ, Tezvergil A, Vallittu PK. Static and fatigue compression test for particulate filler composite resin with fiber-reinforced composite substructure. Dent Mater. 2007 Jan;23(1):17-23.
16. Kappert PF, Kelly JR. Cyclic fatigue testing of denture teeth for bulk fracture. Dent Mater. 2013 Oct;29(10):1012-9. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2013.07.001.
17. Schneider RL, Curtis ER, Clancy JMS. Tensile bond strength of acrylic resin denture teeth to a microwave- or heat-processed denture base. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Aug;88(2):145-50.
18. Consani RLX, Soave T, Mesquita MF, Sinhoreti MAC, Mendes WB, Guiraldo RD. Effect of repeated microwave disinfections on bonding of different commercial teeth to resin denture base. Gerodontology. 2012 Jun;29(2):e553-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2011.00516.x.
19. Lagouvardos PE, Polyzois GL. Shear bond strength between composite resin and denture teeth: effect of tooth type and surface treatments. Int J Prosthodont. 2003 Sep-Oct;16(5):499-504.
20. Fontijn-Tekamp A, Slagter AP, Van Der Bilt A, Van’T Hof MA, Witter DL, Kalk W, et al. Biting and Chewing in Overdentures, Full Dentures, and Natural Dentitions. J Dent Res. 2000 Jul;79(7):1519-24.
21. DeLong R, Sakaguchi RL, Douglas WH, Pintado MR. The wear of dental amalgam in an artificial mouth: a clinical correlation. Dent Mater. 1985 Dec;1(6):238-42.
22. Chai J, Takahashi Y, Takahashi T, Habu T. Bonding durability of conventional resinous denture teeth and highly crosslinked denture teeth to a pour-type denture base resin. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Mar- Apr;13(2):112-6.
23. Vallittu PK. Fibre-reinforced composites in root canal anchoring. Int Dent South Africa. 2006;8:20-7.
24. Barbosa DB, Monteiro DR, Barão VAR, Pero AC, Compagnoni MA. Effect of monomer treatment and polymerisation methods on the bond strength of resin teeth to denture base material. Gerodontology. 2009 Sep;26(3):225-31. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2008.00262.x.
25. Yunus N, Harrison A, Huggett R. Effect of microwave irradiation on the flexural strength and residual monomer levels of an acrylic resin repair material. J Oral Rehabil. 1994 Nov;21(6):641-8.
26. Amin WM. Durability of acrylic tooth bond to polymeric denture base resins. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2002 Jun;10(2):57-61.
27. Marra J, De Souza RF, Barbosa DB, Pero AC, Compagnoni MA. Evaluation of the bond strength of denture base resins to acrylic resin teeth: effect of thermocycling. J Prosthodont. 2009 Jul;18(5):438-43. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-849X.2009.00478.x.
28. Gale MS, Darvell BW. Thermal cycling procedures for laboratory testing of dental restorations. J Dent. 1999 Feb;27(2):89-99.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.