Oral health in patients with cystic fibrosis
The oral health in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) is not well studied. Aim: Our aim was to describe the frequency of dental problems and to perform the description of plaque index and gingival index in patients with CF. Methods: We performed a descriptive study about oral health enrolling 94 patients
with CF. Results: The CF diagnosis was done considering the sweat test with chloride values ≥ 60 mmol/L. The permanent dentition was predominant in 57/94 (60.64%) patients with CF – 28/57 (49.12%) caries, 57/57 (100%) filled teeth and 1/57 (1.75%) missing tooth. Deciduous teeth occurred in 37/94 (39.36%) patients with CF – 22/37 (59.46%) carious, 29/37 (78.38%) exfoliated teeth, 20/37 (54.05%) filled teeth. Also, the plaque index and gingival index had scored less than one in many cases (≥ 50% of the cases). Conclusions: Patients with CF showed oral health problems with prevalence comparable to that of the normal population and low values in the plaque index and gingival index.
status in children affected by cystic fibrosis in a southern Italian region. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2009
2. Ferrazzano GF, Sangianantoni G, Cantile T, Amato I, Orlando S, Ingenito A. Dental enamel defects
in Italian children with cystic fibrosis: an observational study. Community Dent Health. 2012
3. Narang A, Maguire A, Nunn JH, Bush A. Oral health and related factors in cystic fibrosis and other
chronic respiratory disorders. Arch Dis Child. 2003 Aug;88(8):702-7.
4. Peker S, Kargul B, Tanboga I, Tunali-Akbay T, Yarat A, Karakoc F, et al. Oral health and related
factors in a group of children with cystic fibrosis in Istanbul, Turkey. Niger J Clin Pract.
2015 Jan-Feb;18(1):56-60. doi: 10.4103/1119-3077.146980.
5. Sarvas EW, Huebner CE, Scott JM, Aps JK, Chi DL. Dental utilization for Medicaid-enrolled children
with cystic fibrosis. Spec Care Dentist. 2016 Nov;36(6):315-320. doi: 10.1111/scd.12193.
6. Clarkson J, O’Mullane D. A modified DDE Index for use in epidemiological studies of enamel defects.
J Dent Res. 1989 Mar;68(3):445-50.
7. Faria AG, Marson FAL, Gomez CCS, Servidoni MF, Ribeiro AF, Ribeiro JD. Thirty Years
of Sweat Chloride Testing at One Referral Center. Front Pediatr. 2017 Oct 26;5:222.
8. Farrell PM, White TB, Ren CL, Hempstead SE, Accurso F, Derichs N, et al. Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis:
Consensus Guidelines from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. J Pediatr. 2017 Feb;181S:S4-S15.e1.
9. Silness J, Loe H. Periodontal disease in pregnancy. ii. correlation between oral hygiene and
periodontal condtion. Acta Odontol Scand. 1964 Feb;22:121-35.
10. Löe H. The Gingival Index, the Plaque Index and the Retention Index Systems. J Periodontol. 1967
11. Harrington N, Barry PJ, Barry SM. Dental treatment for people with cystic fibrosis. Eur Arch Paediatr
Dent. 2016 Jun;17(3):195-203. doi: 10.1007/s40368-016-0229-9.
12. Primosch RE, Brearley L. Dental caries experience in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Dent Res.
13. Primosch RE. Tetracycline discoloration, enamel defects, and dental caries in patients with cystic
fibrosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1980 Oct;50(4):301-8.
14. Kinirons MJ. Dental health of patients suffering from cystic fibrosis in Northern Ireland. Community
Dent Health. 1989 Jun;6(2):113-20.
15. Aps JK, Van Maele GO, Martens LC. Caries experience and oral cleanliness in cystic fibrosis
homozygotes and heterozygotes. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002
16. Chi DL. Dental caries prevalence in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis: a qualitative
systematic review and recommendations for future research. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2013
Sep;23(5):376-86. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12042.
17. O’Keefe E. Are children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis at lower risk of caries? Evid Based Dent.
2014 Jun;15(2):46-7. doi: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6401024.
18. Jagels AE, Sweeney EA. Oral health of patients with cystic fibrosis and their siblings. J Dent Res.
19. Peker S, Mete S, Gokdemir Y, Karadag B, Kargul B. Related factors of dental caries and molar
incisor hypomineralisation in a group of children with cystic fibrosis. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2014
Aug;15(4):275-80. doi: 10.1007/s40368-014-0112-5.
20. Aps JK, Van Maele GO, Claeys G, Martens LC. Mutans streptococci, lactobacilli and caries
experience in cystic fibrosis homozygotes, heterozygotes and healthy controls. Caries Res.
21. Martens LC, Aps JKM, Van Maele GOG. Is oral health at risk in people with cystic fibrosis? Eur J
Paediat Dent. 2001 Mar;2:21-7.
22. Kinirons MJ. Increased salivary buffering in association with a low caries experience in children
suffering from cystic fibrosis. J Dent Res. 1983 Jul;62(7):815-7.
23. Hirsch R. Periodontal healing and bone regeneration in response to azithromycin. Aust Dent J. 2010
Jun;55(2):193-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2010.01227.x.
24. Sweeney EA, Shaw JH. The effect of dietary pancreatin supplements on dental caries and on the
composition of saliva in caries-susceptible rats. J Dent Res. 1965 Sep-Oct;44(5):973-6.
25. Faran Ali SM, Tanwir F. Oral microbial habitat a dynamic entity. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res.
2012 Sep-Dec;2(3):181-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jobcr.2012.07.001.
26. Marques SC, Rezende JDGOS, Alves LADF, Silva BC, Alves E, De Abreu LR, et al. Formation
of biofilms by Staphylococcus aureus on stainless steel and glass surfaces and its
resistance to some selected chemical sanitizers. Bra J Microbiol. 2007 Jul/Sep;38(3):538-43.
27. Sui W, Boyd C, Wright JT. Altered pH regulation during enamel development in the cystic fibrosis
mouse incisor. J Dent Res. 2003 May;82(5):388-92.
28. Wright JT, Kiefer CL, Hall KI, Grubb BR. Abnormal enamel development in a cystic fibrosis transgenic
mouse model. J Dent Res. 1996 Apr;75(4):966-73.
29. Arquitt CK, Boyd C, Wright JT. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator gene (CFTR) is associated
with abnormal enamel formation. J Dent Res. 2002 Jul;81(7):492-6.
30. Duan X. Ion channels, channelopathies, and tooth formation. J Dent Res. 2014 Feb;93(2):117-25.
31. Azevedo TD, Feijó GC, Bezerra AC. Presence of developmental defects of enamel in cystic fibrosis
patients. J Dent Child (Chic). 2006 Sep-Dec;73(3):159-63.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.