Long-term evaluation of crown and root discoloration induced by different endodontic sealers
Aim: To evaluate crown and root discoloration promoted by different endodontic sealers after root canal filling. Methods: Eighty bovine incisors were prepared and filled with: Endofill, Sealer 26, AH Plus, and MTA Fillapex. Color was recorded using a spectrophotometer before endodontic treatment (T0) and at 24 hours (T1), seven days (T2), 30 days (T3), and 90 days (T4) after treatment. Analyses were performed on the middle and cervical regions of the crown, and on the cervical third of the root, immediately below the cementoenamel junction. The color alterations (ΔE) were calculated using Commission International de I’Eclairage (CIE) L*a*b parameters, and data were analyzed by analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey’s test (p<0.05). Results: All sealers induced color alterations. Sealer 26 resulted in the smallest changes in color (DE = 5.32). The other materials did not present statistical differences (AH Plus DE = 6.98; MTA Fillapex DE = 6.88; Endofill DE = 6.41). Of the three regions analyzed, the largest discoloration was observed at the cervical third of the root (DE=10.67). In terms of time, the largest ΔE values (DE=7.72) were observed at T4. Color changes at T1 (DE=5.88), T2 (DE=6.10), and T3 (DE=5.89) were statistically similar. Conclusions: All endodontic sealers promoted discoloration on the tooth crown and root.
Int Endod J. 2012 Oct;45(10):883-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2591.2012.02071.x.
2. Zare Jahromi M, Navabi AA, Ekhtiari M. Comparing coronal discoloration between AH26 and ZOE
sealers. Iran Endod J. 2011 Fall;6(4):146-9.
3. Lenherr P, Allgayer N, Weiger R, Filippi A, Attin T, Krastl G. Tooth discoloration induced
by endodontic materials: a laboratory study. Int Endod J. 2012 Oct;45(10):942-9.
4. Meincke DK, Prado M, Gomes BPF, Bona AD, Sousa ELR. Effect of endodontic sealers on tooth color.
J Dent. 2013 Aug;41(Suppl 3):e93-6.
5. Ioannidis K, Mistakidis I, Beltes P, Karagiannis V. Spectrophotometric analysis of crown
discoloration induced by MTA- and ZnOE-based sealers. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013 Mar-Apr;21(2):138-44.
6. Forghani M, Gharechahi M, Karimpour S. In vitro evaluation of tooth discolouration induced
by mineral trioxide aggregate Fillapex and iRoot SP endodontic sealers. Aust Endod J. 2016
Dec;42(3):99-103. doi: 10.1111/aej.12144.
7. Parsons JR, Walton RE, Ricks-Williamson L. In vitro longitudinal assessment of coronal discoloration
from endodontic sealers. J Endod. 2001 Nov;27(11):699-702.
8. Partovi M, Al-Havvaz AH, Soleimani B. In vitro computer analysis of crown discolouration from
commonly used endodontic sealers. Aust Endod J. 2006 Dec;32(3):116-9.
9. Walsh LJ, Athanassiadis B. Endodontic aesthetic iatrodontics. Aust Dental Prac. 2007;18:62-4.
10. Allan NA, Walton RC, Schaeffer MA. Setting times for endodontic sealers under clinical usage and in
vitro conditions. J Endod. 2001 Jun;27(6):421-3.
11. Davis MC, Walton RE, Rivera EM. Sealer distribution in coronal dentin. J Endod. 2002 Jun;28(6):464-6.
12. Asgary S, Parirokh M, Eghbal MJ, Brink F. Chemical differences between white and gray mineral
trioxide aggregate. J Endod. 2005 Feb;31(2):101-3.
13. Ioannidis K, Beltes P, Lambrianidis T, Kapagiannidis D, Karagiannis V. Validation and
spectrophotometric analysis of crown discoloration induced by root canal sealers. Clin Oral Investig.
2013 Jul;17(6):1525-33. doi: 10.1007/s00784-012-0850-x.
14. Kohli MR, Yamaguchi M, Setzer FC, Karabucak B. Spectrophotometric analysis of coronal tooth
discoloration induced by various bioceramic cements and other endodontic materials. J Endod. 2015
Nov;41(11):1862-6. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2015.07.003.
15. Shokouhinejad N, Nekoofar MH, Pirmoazen S, Shamshiri AR, Dummer PM. Evaluation
and comparison of occurrence of tooth discoloration after the application of various
calcium silicate-based cements: an ex vivo study. J Endod. 2016 Jan;42(1):140-4.
16. International Commission on Illumination. Recommendations on uniform color spaces, colordifference
equations, psychometric color terms. Bureau Central de la CIE. 1978;15:13.
17. Johnston WM, Kao EC. Assessment of appearance match by visual observation and clinical
colorimetry. J Dent Res. 1989 May;68(5):819-22.
18. Thomson AD, Athanassiadis B, Kahler B, Walsh L. Tooth discolouration: staining effects of various
sealers and medicaments. Aust Endod J. 2012 Apr;38(1):2-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-4477.2011.00339.x.
19. Costa BM, Iwamoto AS, Puppin-Rontani RM, Pascon FM. Comparative analysis of root dentin
morphology and structure of human versus bovine primary teeth. Microsc Microanal. 2015
Jun;21(3):689-94. doi: 10.1017/S1431927615000434.
20. Lisbôa EI, Silva Neto UX da, Carneiro E, Fariniuk LF, Westphalen VPD. Capacidade de selamento e
penetração intratubular do MTA Fillapex e do AH Plus em dentes humanos. Rev Odontol UNESP.
2017;46(1):7-13. doi: 10.1590/1807-2577.25915.
21. Gürel MA, Kivanç BH, Ekici A, Alaçam T. Evaluation of crown discoloration induced by endodontic
sealers and change ratio determination after bleaching. Aust Endod J. 2016 Dec;42(3):119-123.
22. Suciu I, Ionescu E, Dimitriu BA, Bartok RI, Moldoveanu GF, Gheorghiu IM, et al. An optical investigation
of dentinal discoloration due to commonly endodontic sealers, using the transmitted light polarizing
microscopy and spectrophotometry. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2016;57(1):153-9.
23. Yassen GH, Platt JA, Hara AT. Bovine teeth as substitute for human teeth in dental research: a review
of literature. J Oral Sci. 2011 Sep;53(3):273-82.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.