Effect of a sonic device on bonding of fiberglass posts to root canals
Aim: This study evaluated the effect of a sonic device on the bonding of fiberglass posts cemented with a self-etching adhesive combined with conventional cement or a self-adhesive cement to root dentin. Methods: Forty single-rooted bovine incisors were endodontically prepared using a step-back technique. Gutta-percha and AH Plus sealer were used for root canal filling, combined with a thermoplasticization technique. After 1 week, the post space was prepared and the roots were divided into four groups according to the following factors: adhesive system/resin cement (Ambar/ AllCem Core [FGM] and RelyX U200 [3M]) and application mode (manual or sonic). The posts were cemented and the roots were cut into discs and submitted to push-out bond strength (POBS) test. The failure mode was evaluated using a stereoscope at 25x magnification. The data were analyzed statistically using ANOVA and Tukey’s post-hoc test (α = 0.05). Results: The sonically activated RelyX U200 group was superior to the other groups. RelyX U200 manually applicated showed similar results to those of sonically activated Âmbar/AllCem. These three groups outperformed the Âmbar/AllCem manually applicated group. Adhesive failure between dentin and resin cement was the most predominant pattern. Conclusion: Sonic application of self-etching adhesive and self-adhesive cement improved the POBS of fiber posts to the root canal.
Endod Dent Traumatol. 1994 Jun;10(3):105-8.
2. Ray HA, Trope M. Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in relation to the technical quality
of the root filling and the coronal restoration. Int Endod J. 1995Jan;28(1):12-8.
3. Swanson K, Madison S. An evaluation of coronal microleakage in endodontically treated teeth. Part I.
Time periods. J Endod. 1987 Feb;13(2):56-9.
4. Tabassum S, Khan FR. Failure of endodontic treatment: the usual suspects. Eur J Dent.
2016 Jan-Mar;10(1):144-7. doi: 10.4103/1305-7456.175682.
5. Cecchin D, Farina AP, Souza MA, Carlini-Júnior B, Ferraz CC. Effect of root canal sealers on bond
strength of fibreglass posts cemented with self-adhesive resin cements. Int Endod J. 2011
Apr;44(4):314-20. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2591.2010.01831.x.
6. Ferreira R, Prado M, de Jesus Soares A, Zaia AA, de Souza-Filho FJ. Influence of using clinical
microscope as auxiliary to perform mechanical cleaning of post space: A bond strength analysis.
J Endod. 2015 Aug;41(8):1311-6. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2015.05.003.
7. Costa Dantas MC, do Prado M, Costa VS, Gaiotte MG, Simão RA, Bastian FL. Comparison between
the effect of plasma and chemical treatments on fiber post surface. J Endod. 2012 Feb;38(2):215-8.
8. Kececi AD, Ureyen Kaya B, Adanir N. Micro push-out bond strengths of four fiber-reinforced
composite post systems and 2 luting materials. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod.
9. Rasimick BJ, Wan J, Musikant BL, Deutsch AS. A review of failure modes in teeth
restored with adhesively luted endodontic dowels. J Prosthodont. 2010 Dec;19(8):639-46.
10. Cagidiaco MC, Goracci C, Garcia-Godoy F, Ferrari M. Clinical studies of fiber posts: a literature review.
Int J Prosthodont. 2008 Jul-Aug;21(4):328-36.
11. Cuadros-Sanchez J, Szesz A, Hass V, Patzlaff RT, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Effects of sonic application
of adhesive systems on bonding fiber posts to root canals. J Endod. 2014 Aug;40(8):1201-5.
12. Cerruti F, Acquaviva PA, Gagliani M, Ferrari M, Mangani F, Depero LE, et al. Degree of conversion of
dual-cure resins light-cured through glass-fiber posts. Am J Dent. 2011 Feb;24(1):8-12.
13. Halvorson RH, Erickson RL, Davidson CL. Energy dependent polymerization of resin-based
composite. Dent Mater. 2002 Sep;18(6):463-9.
14. Cheong C, King NM, Pashley DH, Ferrari M, Toledano M, Tay FR. Incompatibility of self-etch
adhesives with chemical/dual-cured composites: two-step vs one-step systems. Oper Dent. 2003
15. Bouillaguet S, Troesch S, Wataha J, Krejci I, Meyer JM, Pashley DH. Microtensile bond strength
between adhesive cements and root canal dentin. Dent Mater. 2003 May;19(3):199-205.
16. Bouillaguet S, Bertossa B, Krejci I, Wataha JC, Tay FR, Pashley DH. Alternative adhesive strategies to
optimize bonding to radicular dentin. J Endod. 2007 Oct;33(10):1227-30.
17. Ferrari M, Vichi A, Gradini S. Efficacy of different adhesive techniques on bonding to root canal walls:
an SEM investigation. Dent Mater. 2001 Sep;17(5):422-9.
18. Schwartz RS. Adhesive dentistry and endodontics. Part 2: bonding in the root canal system-the
promise and the problems: a review. J Endod. 2006 Dec;32(12):1125-34.
19. Oskoee PA, Nooroloyouni A, Azar FP, Oskoee S, Ashraf AP. Effect of resin cement pre-heating on the
push out bond strength of fiber post to root canal dentin. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2015
Fall;9(4):233-8. doi: 10.15171/joddd.2015.042.
20. Kul E, Yeter KY, Aladag LI, Ayranci LB. Effect of different post space irrigation procedures on the
bond strength of a fiber post attached with a self-adhesive resin cement. J Prosthet Dent. 2016
May;115(5):601-5. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2015.10.010.
21. Victorino KR, Kuga MC, Duarte MA, Cavenago BC, Só MVR, Pereira JR. The effects of chlorhexidine
and ethanol on push-out bond strength of fiber posts. J Conserv Dent. 2016 Jan-Feb;19(1):96-100.
22. Saraiva LO, Aguiar TR, Costa L, Correr-Sobrinho L, Muniz L, Mathias P. Effect of different adhesion
strategies on fiber post cementation: Push-out test and scanning electron microscopy analysis.
Contemp Clin Dent. 2013 Oct;4(4):443-7. doi: 10.4103/0976-237X.123022.
23. Arslan H, Ayranci LB, Kurklu D Topcuoglu HS, Barutcigil C. Influence of different surface treatments
on push-out bond strengths of fiber-reinforced posts luted with dual-cure resin cement. Niger J Clin
Pract. 2016 Mar-Apr;19(2):218-22. doi: 10.4103/1119-3077.175962.
24. Amaral M, Santini MF, Wandscher V, Amaral R, Valandro LF. An in vitro comparison of
different cementation strategies on the pull-out strength of a glass fiber post. Oper Dent.
2009 Jul-Aug;34(4):443-51. doi: 10.2341/08-113.
25. Radovic I, Monticelli F, Goracci C, Vulicevic ZR, Ferrari M. Self-adhesive resin cements: a literature
review. J Adhes Dent. 2008 Aug;10(4):251-8.
26. Mena-Serrano A, da Costa TRF, Patzlaff RT, Loguercio AD, Reis A. Effect of sonic application mode on
the resin-dentin bond strength and dentin permeability of self-etching systems. J Adhes Dent. 2014
Oct;16(5):435-40. doi: 10.3290/j.jad.a32810.
27. Pereira JR, da Rosa RA, do Valle AL, Ghizoni JS, Só MV, Shiratori FK. The influence of different
cements on the pull-out bond strength of fiber post. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Jul;112(1):59-63. doi:
28. Mena-Serrano A, Garcia EJ, Loguercio AD, Reis A. Effect of sonic application mode on the resindentin
bond strength and nanoleakage of simplified self-etch adhesive. Clin Oral Investig. 2014
Apr;18(3):729-36. doi: 10.1007/s00784-013-1019-y.
29. Mushashe AM, Amaral RO, Rezende CE, Baratto Filho F, Cunha LF, Gonzaga CC. Effect of
sonic vibrations on bond strength of fiberglass posts bonded to root dentin. Braz Dent J.
2017 Jan-Feb;28(1):30-34. doi: 10.1590/0103-6440201601107.
30. Perdigão J, Gomes G, Augusto V. The effect of dowel space on the bond strengths of fiber posts.
J Prosthodont. 2007 May-Jun;16(3):154-64.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.