Effect of cavity-cleaning agents on shear bond strength between self-etching adhesives and dentin
Aim: The effect of cavity-cleaning agents on shear bonding strength between self-etching adhesives and dentin was evaluated. Methods: Twenty-five healthy human third molars were worn to obtain flat middle dentin. The samples were randomly divided into five groups according to the cleaning agent used: group CB not treated with any cavity disinfectants and served as control. Following groups, dentin surfaces were treated with 2% chlorhexidine (CHX group); 3% hydrogen peroxide (HP group); calcium hydroxide water (CH group); and 70% ethyl ethanol (E group). The dentin surfaces were cleaned by friction for 20 s and dentine bonding agent, Clearfil SE Bond, was applied. Cylinders (5.0 mm ´ 1.2 mm, n = 19) of fluid composite resin were placed on the dentin surface, and the teeth were stored in deionized water at 37°C for 24 h. Subsequently, the samples were subjected to the shear bonding test, and the obtained values were subjected to one-way ANOVA and Tukey’s test (α = 0.05). The failure pattern was analyzed descriptively by examining the specimens with a stereoscope at a magnification of 4´, and failure was classified into adhesive, cohesive or mixed type. Results: Shear bonding was significantly lower in group HP (6.17 ± 5.69 MPa). The groups CB, CHX, CH and E were statiscally similar, 22.15 ± 6.54MPa; 18.40 ± 7.26MPa; 18.07 ± 5.98MPa; 16.43 ± 6.19MPa respectively. The failure modes observed were only adhesive and mixed. Conclusion: The use of 2% chlorhexidine, calcium hydroxide water, and 70% ethyl ethanol did not negatively affect bond strength. Only 3% hydrogen peroxide is contraindicated as a cavity cleaner in adhesive restorative procedures when self-etching system is used.
2. Dionysopoulos D. Effect of digluconate chlorhexidine on bond strength between dental adhesive systems and dentin: A systematic review. J Consery Dent. 2016 Jan 19(1): 11-6.
3. Say EC, Koray F, Tarim B, Soyman M, Gulmez T. In vitro effect of cavity disinfectants on the bond strength of dentin bonding systems. Quintessence Int. 2004 35(1): 56-60.
4. Shinohara MS, Bedran-de-Castro AKB, Amaral CM, Pimenta LAF. The effect of sodium hypochlorite on microleakage of composite resin restorations using three adhesive systems. J Adhes Dent. 2004 Aug 6(2): 123-27.
5. Ercan E, Erdemir A, Zorba OY, Eldeniz AU, Dalli M, Ínce B, Kalaycioglu B. Effect of different cavity disinfectants on shear bond strength of composite resin to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2009 11(5): 343-46.
6. Sharma V, Rampal P, Kumar S. Shear bond strength of composite resin to dentin after application of cavity disinfectants – SEM study. Cont Clinical Dent. 2011 Sep 2(3): 155-59.
7. Tulunoglu O, Ayhan H, Olmez A, Bodur H. The effect of cavity disinfectants on microleakage in dentin bonding systems. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1998 22(4):299-305.
8. Soares CJ, Pereira CA, Pereira JC, Santana FR, do Prado CJ. Effect of chlorhexidine application on microtensile bond strength to dentin. Oper Dent. 2008 Mar 33(2):183-8.
9. Pappas M, Burns DR, Moon PC, Coffey JP. Influence of a 3-step tooth disinfection procedure on dentin bond strength. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 Jun 93(6):545-50.
10. Frassetto A, Breschi L, Turco G, Marchesi G, Lenarda RD, Tay FR, Pashley DH, Cadenaro M. Mechanisms of degradation of the hybrid layer in adhesive dentistry and therapeutic agents to improve bond durability- A literature review. Den Mat. 2016 32: e41-e53.
11. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G. Buonocore Memorial Lecture: Adhesion to enamel and dentin: Current status and future challenges. Oper Dent. 2003 28(3): 215-35.
12. Versluis A, Tantbirojn D, Douglas WH. Do dental composites always shrink toward the light? J Dent Res. 1998 Jun 77:1435-45.
13. Hashimoto M, Ohno H, Sano H, Kaga M, Oguchi H. In vitro degradation of resin–dentin bonds analyzed by microtensile bond test, scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Biomaterials. 2003 Sep 24(21):3795–803.
14. Kermanshahi S, Santerre JP, Cvitkovitch DG, Finer Y. Biodegradation of resin-dentin interfaces increases bacterial microleakage. J Dent Res. 2010 Sep 89(9):996–1001.
15. Spencer P, Wang Y. Adhesive phase separation at the dentin interface under wet bonding conditions. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002 Dec 62(3):477-56.
16. Ye Q, Park J, Topp E, Spencer P. Effect of photoinitiators on the in vitro performance of a dentin adhesive exposed to simulated oral environment. Dent Mater. 2009 Apr 25(4):452–8.
17. Wang Y, Spencer P. Quantifying adhesive penetration in adhesive/dentin interface using confocal Raman microspectroscopy. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002 Jan 59(1):46–55.
18. Pashley DH, Tay FR, Yiu C, Hashimoto M, Breschi L, Carvalho RM. Collagen degradation by host-derived enzymes during aging. J Dent Res. 2004 Mar 83(3):216–21.
19. Mazzoni A, Pashley DH, Nishitani Y, Breschi L, Mannello F, Tjäderhane L, Toledano M, Pashley EL, Tay FR. Reactivation of inactivated endogenous proteolytic activities in phosphoric acid-etched dentine by etch-and-rinse adhesives. Biomaterials. 2006 Sep 27(25):4470–6.
20. Hashimoto M, Hirose N, Kitagawa H, Yamaguchi S, Imazato S. Improving the durability of resin-dentin bonds with na antibacterial monomer MDPB. Dent Materials J. 2018 Nov 37(4):620-627.
21. Moharam LM, Salem HN, Elgamily HM. The effect of incorporating different concentrations of chlorhexidine digluconate on the degree of conversion of an experimental adhesive resin. J Clin Exp Dent. 2018 Mar 10(4):e371-377.
22. Scaffa PMC, Vidal CMP, Barros N, Gesteira TF, Carmona AK, Breschi L, Pashley DH, Tjaderhane L, Tersariol IL, Nascimento FD, Carrilho MR. Chlorhexidine inhibits the activity of dental cysteine cathepsins. J Dent Res. 2012 Apr 91(4):420–5.
23. Carrilho MR, Carvalho RM, de Goes MF, di Hipólito V, Geraldeli S, Tay FR, Pashley DH, Tjaderhane L. Chlorhexidine preserves dentin bond in vitro. J Dent Res. 2007 Jan 86(1):90-4.
24. Ricci HA, Sanabe ME, de Souza Costa CA, Pashley DH, Hebling J. Chlorhexidine increases the longevity of in vivo resin dentin bonds. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010 Aug 118(4):411-6.
25. Stanislavczuk R, Reis A, Loguercio AD. A 2 year in vitro evaluation of a chlorhexidine containing acid on the durability of resin dentin interfaces. J Dent. 2011 Jan 39(1):40-7.
26. Hassan AM, Goda AA, Baroudi K. The effect of different disinfecting agents on bond strength of resin composites. Inter J Dent. 2014 Nov: 1-7.
27. Di Hipólito V, Rodrigues FR, Piveta FB, Azevedo LC, Alonso RCB, Silikas N, Carvalho RM, De Goes MF, D’Alpino HP. Effectiveness of self-adhesive luting cements in bonding to chlorhexidine-treated dentin. Dental Materials. 2012 Nov 28: 495-501.
28. Carrilho MR, Carvalho RM, Sousa EN, Nicolau J, Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Tjaderhane L, Tay FR, Agee K, Pashley DH. Substantivity of chlorhexidine to human dentin. Dent Mater. 2010 Aug 26(8): 779-85.
29. Cha HS, Shin DH. Antibacterial capacity of cavity disinfectants against Streptococcus mutans and their effects on shear bond strength of a self-etch adhesive. Dent Mater J. 2016 35 (1): 147-52.
30. Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Yoshida Y, Mine A, De Munk J, Van Landuyt KL. State of the art of self-etch adhesives. Dent Materials. 2011 27: 17-28.
31. Varoni E, Tarce M, Lodi G, Carrassi A. Chlorhexidine (CHX) in dentistry: state of the art. Minerva Stomatol. 2012 Sep 61(9): 399-419.
32. Zhou J, Tan J, Yang X, Xu X, Li D, Chen L. MMP-inhibitory effect of chlorhexidine applied in a self-etching adhesive. J Adhes Dent. 2011 Apr 13(2):111–5.
33. Moszner N, Salz U, Zimmermann J. Chemical aspects of self-etching enamel-dentin adhesives: a systematic review. Dent Mater. 2005 Oct 21(10): 895-910.
34. Morrison RT, Boyd RN. Organic chemistry. 3th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon; 1973.
35. Maciel KT, Carvalho RM, Ringle RD, Preston CD, Russell CM, Pashley DH. The effects of acetone, ethanol, HEMA, air on the stiffness of human decalcified dentin matrix. J Den Res. 1996 Nov 75(11): 1851-158.
36. Van Landuyt KL, Snauwaert J, De Munck J, Peaumans M, Yoshida Y, Poitevin A, Coutinho E, Suzuki K, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Systematic review of the chemical composition of comtemporary dental adhesives. Biomaterials. 2007 Sep 28(26): 3757-85.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.