Tools for inventory control of dental supplies of a municipal health department: a case study
Aim: Carry out a descriptive and organizational analysis of the Oral Health warehouse of the Municipal Health Department in a city in the South of Brazil in order to assist in its management. Methods: This case study is a descriptive and organizational analysis of the Oral Health warehouse of the Municipal Health Department. The Always Better Control (ABC) curve, and Vital Essential Desirable (VED) analysis and ABC-VED matrix was performed, in order to assist the warehouse’s management. The first stage was a descriptive situational analysis. In the second stage, the supplies were classified by the ABC curve and the VED analysis. Subsequently, the ABC-VED matrix was carried out. Results: Changes were made together with the local manager, such as organizing the products, labeling the items in the proper places and, carrying out the inventory more frequently (monthly). Furthermore, the method the first in, first out (FIFO) was applied. Of the 120 inputs, 13% corresponded to 65% of the expenditures (class A). In class B, close to 26% of the items accounted for 25% of the expenditures. Class C accounted for 10% of the costs and 61% of total materials. In the VED analysis, 19.2% of the items were classified as vital, and 62% and 19% as essential and desirable, respectively. In ABC-VED matrix, 23.3% (72%) belonged to category I, while 63% (25.6%) and 13% (2%) were classified in categories II and III, respectively. Conclusion: The use of inventory control tools granted a better storage of products and made it easier to find the items. The ABC curve, VED analysis and ABC-VED analysis allowed greater control, considering both cost and importance of supplies.
2. Oliveira CM. Curva ABC na gestão de estoque. In: III Encontro Científico e Simpósio de Educação Unisalesiano; 2011; Lins, São Paulo. p. 1-14.
3. Martins PG. [Administração de Materiais e Recursos Patrimoniais]. São Paulo: Saraiva; 2009. Portuguese.
4. Chambers S, Johnston R, Slack N. [Administração da Produção]. São Paulo: Atlas; 2002. Portuguese.
5. Mota FGL, Cancio AJ. [Avaliação da potencialidade de redução de estoques no governo federal]. Rio de Janeiro: Enanpad; 2004. Portuguese.
6. Pelotas. Secretaria Municipal de Saúde. [Diretrizes da Saúde Bucal de Pelotas]. Pelotas: Secretaria Municipal de Saúde; 2013. 98p. Portuguese.
7. Viana JJ. [Administração de Materiais: um enfoque prático]. São Paulo: Atlas; 2010. Portuguese.
8. Dias MAP. [Administração de materiais: uma abordagem logística]. São Paulo: Atlas; 2010. Portuguese.
9. Gupta N, Krishnappa P. [Inventory Analysis in a Private Dental Hospital in Bangalore, India]. J. of Clin and Diag Res. 2016 Oct-Nov; 10(11): 10-12.
10. Roy RN, Manna S, Sarker, GN. [Applying management techniques for effective management of medical store of a public sector undertaking hospital]. Ind J of Prev and Social Med. 2010 Jan-Jun; 42(1): 11-14.
11. Lourenço KG, Castilho V. [ABC supplies classification: a management tool of costs in nursing]. Rev Bras de Enferm 2006 Jan-Feb; 59(1): 52-55.
12. Shah AG, Davda BK, Parikh SB, Bala DV. [Always Better Control – Vital Essential Desirable analysis of the drugs used in health centres of Ahmedabad district]. Int J of Bas and Clin Pharm. 2015 Jul-Aug; 4(4): 749-752.
13. Vaz FS, Ferreira AM, Pereira-Antao I, Kulkarni MS, Morghare DD. [A study of drug expenditure at a tertiary care hospital: an ABC-VED analysis]. J of Health Manag. 2008 Jan-Feb; 10(1): 119-127.
14. Anand T, Ingle GK, Kishore J, Kumar R. [ABC-VED analysis of a drug store in the department of community medicine of a medical college in Delhi]. Ind J of Pharm Sci. 2013 Jan-Feb; 75(1):113-117.
15. Gupta R, Gupta KK, Jain BR, Garg RK. [ABC and VED analysis in medical stores inventory control]. Med J Arm Forc Ind. 2007 Jan-Feb; 63(4): 325-327.
16. Devnani M, Gupta AK, Nigah R. [ABC and VED analysis of the pharmacy store of a tertiary care teaching, research and referral healthcare institute of India]. Journ of Y Pharm. 2010 Apr-Jun; 2(2): 201-205.
17. Mahatme MS, Dakhale GN, Hiware SK, Shinde AT, Salve AM. [Medical store management: an integrated economic analysis of a tertiary care hospital in central India]. Journ of Y Pharm. 2012 Apr-Jun; 4(2): 114-118.
18. Arnold JRT. [Administração de materiais: uma introdução]. São Paulo: Atlas; 2011. Portuguese.
19. Kumar MS, Chakravarty BA. [ABC-VED analysis of expendable medical stores at a tertiary care hospital]. Med J Arm Forc Ind. 2015 Jan-Feb; 71(1): 24-27.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.