Bond strength at the cement/dentin interface according to protocols for final irrigation of post space
Aim: The aim was to evaluate the bond strength at the cement/dentin interface in the post space, after specimens were treated with different final irrigation protocols, followed by cementation with a dual resin cement. Methods: Forty-eight extracted uniradicular human premolars were divided into four groups according to the irrigation (n = 12): control with distilled water; 2.5% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) + ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA); 2.5% NaOCl + passive ultrasonic irrigation (PUI); and 2% chlorhexidine (CHX). The pull-out test was performed. The results were evaluated using ANOVA with Tukey’s paired comparisons, with a significance of 5%. Results: When all groups were compared, significant difference occurred (p = 0.006), and in the paired comparison, NaOCl + PUI and CHX differed (p = 0.005). The CHX showed significantly higher adhesive defects between cement and dentin than other groups. Conclusions: The final irrigation protocol for cleaning after preparation for post space directly influences the bond strength at the cement/dentin interface.
2. Furuse AY, Cunha LF, Baratto SP, Leonardi DP, Haragushiku GA, Gonzaga CC. Bond strength of fiber-reinforced posts to deproteinized root canal dentin. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2014; 15(5): 581-6.
3. Arslan H, Uygun AD, Gunduz HA, Karataş E, Cakici F, Alsancak M. Micro push-out bond strength of resin cement in roots exhibiting the butterfly effect. Scanning. 2015; 37(6): 406-8.
4. Saraiva LO, Aguiar TR, Costa L, Correr-Sobrinho L, Muniz L, Mathias P. Effect of different adhesion strategies on fiber post cementation: Push-out test and scanning electron microscopy analysis. Contemp Clin Dent. 2013; 4(4): 443-7.
5. Bitter K, Aschendorff L, Neumann K, Blunck U, Sterzenbach G. Do chlorhexidine and ethanol improve bond strength and durability of adhesion of fiber posts inside the root canal? Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18(3): 927-34.
6. Gu XH, Mao CY, Liang C, Wang HM, Kern M. Does endodontic post space irrigation affect smear layer removal and bonding effectiveness? Eur J Oral Sci. 2009; 117(5): 597-603.
7. Bitter K, Hambarayan A, Neumann K, Blunck U, Sterzenbach G. Various irrigation protocols for final rinse to improve bond strengths of fiber posts inside the root canal. Eur J Oral Sci. 2013; 121(4): 349-54.
8. Pashley DH, Tay FR, Breschi L, Tjäderhane L, Carvalho RM, Carrilho M, Tezvergil-Mutluay A. State of the art etch-and-rinse adhesives. Dent Mater. 2011; 27(1): 1-16.
9. Ribeiro AIAM, Dantas DCRE, Guênes GMT, de Araújo RKP, Cyrillo CC, Braz R. Action of deproteinizing and antioxidant agents on the microtensile bond strength of conventional adhesives. RGO. 2011; 59(2): 221-7.
10. Lisboa DS, Santos SV dos, Griza S, Rodrigues JL, Faria-e-Silva AL. Dentin deproteinization effect on bond strength of self-adhesive resin cements. Braz Oral Res. 2013; 27(1): 73-5.
11. Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, De Stefano Dorigo E. Dental adhesion review: aging and stability of the bonded interface. Dent Mater. 2008; 24(1) :90-101.
12. Bernardo RT, Obici AC, Sinhoreti MAC. Effect of chemical or dual cure on Knoop microhardness in the resin cements. Cienc Odontol Bras. 2008; 11(4): 80-5.
13. Abuhaimed TS, Abou Neel EA. Sodium hypochlorite irrigation and its effect on bond strength to dentin. Biomed Res Int. 2017; 2017: 1930360.
14. Mohammadi Z, Yaripour S, Shalavi S, Palazzi F, Asgary S. Root canal irrigants and dentin bonding: an update. Iran Endod J. 2017; 12(2): 131-6.
15. Lindblad RM, Lassila LVJ, Salo V, Vallittu PK, Tjäderhane L. Effect of chlorhexidine on initial adhesion of fiber-reinforced post to root canal. J Dent. 2010; 38(10): 796-801.
16. Rosa RA, Barreto MS, Moraes Rdo A, Broch J, Bier CA, Só MV, et al. Influence of endodontic sealer composition and time of fiber post cementation on sealer adhesiveness to bovine root dentin. Braz Dent J. 2013; 24(3): 241-6.
17. Zhang L, Huang L, Xiong Y, Fang M, Chen JH, Ferrari M. Effect of post-space treatment on retention of fiber posts in different root regions using two self-etching systems. Eur J Oral Sci. 2008; 116(3): 280-6.
18. Leal F, Simão RA, Fidel SR, Fidel RA, do Prado M. Effect of final irrigation protocols on push-out bond strength of an epoxy resin root canal sealer to dentin. Aust Endod J. 2015; 41(3): 135-9.
19. De Santis R, Prisco D, Apicella A, Ambrosio L, Rengo S, Nicolais L. Carbon fiber post adhesion to resin luting cement in the restoration of endodontically treated teeth. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2000; 11(4): 201-6.
20. Aleisa K, Al-Dwairi ZN, Alsubait SA, Morgano SM. Pull-out retentive strength of fiber posts cemented at different times in canals obturated with a eugenol-based sealer. J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 116(1): 85-90.
21. Perdigão J, Eiriksson S, Rosa BT, Lopes M, Gomes G. Effect of calcium removal on dentin bond strengths. Quintessence Int. 2001; 32(2): 142-6.
22. Calt S, Serper A. Time-dependent effects of EDTA on dentin structures. J Endod. 2002; 28(1):17-9.
23. Haralur SB, Alasabi ANA, Al Qahtani SAA, Alqahtani SMS. Influence of irrigating agents on fiber post push-out bond strength to radicular dentin sections with the different adhesive system. Eur J Dent. 2017; 11(3): 380-4.
24. Santos JN, Carrilho MR, De Goes MF, Zaia AA, Gomes BP, Souza-Filho FJ, Ferraz CC. Effect of chemical irrigants on the bond strength of a self-etching adhesive to pulp chamber. J Endod. 2006; 32(11): 1088-90.
25. Balbosh A, Kern M. Effect of surface treatment on retention of glass-fiber endodontic posts. J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95(3): 218223.
26. Paiva JG, Antoniazzi JH. Endodontia bases para a prática clínica. 2nd ed. Médicas. 1988.
27. Ferrari PHP, Bombana AC. A infecção endodôntica e sua resolução. 1st ed. Editora Santos. 2010.
28. Wang L, Pinto TA, Silva LM, Araújo DF, Martins LM, Hannas AR, Pedreira AP, Francisconi PA, Honório HM. Effect of 2% chlorhexidine digluconate on bond strength of a glass-fibre post to root dentine. Int Endod J. 2013; 46(9): 847-54.
29. da Silva RS, de Almeida Antunes RP, Ferraz CC, Orsi IA. The effect of the use of 2% chlorhexidine gel in post-space preparation on carbon fiber post retention. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99(3): 372-7.
30. Chang HS, Noh YS, Lee Y, Min KS, Bae JM. Push-out bond strengths of fiber-reinforced composite posts with various resin cements according to the root level. J Adv Prosthodont. 2013; 5(3): 278-86.
31. Marques VF, Araujo ECF, Silva ALF, Tapety CMC, Moreira MAG, Casselli DSM. Evaluation of the bond strength between the dentin and fiberglass posts using three different cementing techniques. RFO UPF. 2014; 19(3): 283-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.