Physicomechanical properties of different nanohybrid composites after aging: color stability, flexural strength, and microhardness
Aim: To evaluate the physicomechanical properties of different hybrid composites (Charisma Diamond - CD, Aura - AU, NT Premium - NT, Opallis - OP, Filtek Z250 – Z250) after 6 months of aging in distilled water. Methods: Discs were fabricated and color measurements were performed after 24 hours and at 7, 30, and 180 days. Flexural strength was determined using the three-point bending test. For the microhardness test, the specimens were flattened to obtain polished and flat surfaces and indentations. The results for ΔE and microhardness were analyzed by two-way repeated-measures ANOVA and Tukey’s HSD test. The flexural strength results were analyzed by two-way ANOVA and Tukey’s test (α=0.05). Results: The ΔE values for composite resins varied in the following order: CD (3.54)a < Z250 (4.70)ab < AU (4.95)ab < OP (5.20)ab < NT (6.23)b. ΔE values were lower for 24 h (3.84)a < 7 days (4.43)ab < 30 days (4.93)b. The highest values were observed after 180 days (ΔE = 6.54)c. The flexural strength of composite resins varied in the following order: CD (89.17 MPa)a < Z250 (73.06 MPa)b < OP (60.30 MPa) c < NT (51.28 MPa)c < AU (23.77 MPa)d. Flexural strength values were significantly higher for 24 h (68.62 MPa)a < 180 days (51.40 MPa)b. The microhardness of composite resins varied in the following order: Z250 (112.05)a < CD (102.15)ab < OP (92.04) bc < NT (87.77)d < AU (87.68)d. Microhardness was significantly higher for 180 days (113.44)a < 24 h (78.21)b. Conclusion: The microhybrid (Z250) and one of the nanohybrid composites (CD) performed better. The color stability and flexural strength of all tested composites decreased with storage time.
2. Arikawa H, Kanie T, Fujii K, Takahashi H, Ban S. Effect of filler properties in composite resins on light transmittance characteristics and color. Dent Mater J 2007; 26: 38-44.
3. Spina DR, Grossi JR, Cunali RS, Baratto Filho F, da Cunha LF, Gonzaga CC, Correr GM. Evaluation of Discoloration Removal by Polishing Resin Composites Submitted to Staining in Different Drink Solutions. Int Sch Res Notices. 2015 Aug 20;2015:853975.
4. Koishi Y, Tanoue N, Atsuta M, Matsumura H. Influence of visible-light exposure on colour stability of current dual-curable luting composites. J Oral Rehabil. 2002 Apr; 29(4):387-93.
5. Craig R, Powers JM. Restorative Dental Materials, Mosby, 2002.
6. Panahandeh N, Torabzadeh H, Naderi H, Sheikh-Al-Eslamian SM. Effect of water storage on flexural strength of silorane and methacrylate-based composite resins. Restor Dent Endod. 2017 Nov;42(4):309-315.
7. Farahat F, Daneshkazemi AR, Hajiahmadi Z. The Effect of Bulk Depth and Irradiation Time on the Surface Hardness and Degree of Cure of Bulk-Fill Composites. J Dent Biomater. 2016 Sep;3(3):284-291.
8. Xu HH, Smith DT, Schumacher GE, Eichmiller FC, Antonucci JM. Indentation modulus and hardness of whisker-reinforced heat-cured dental resin composites. Dent Mater. 2000;16(4):248–54.
9. Nair SR, Niranjan NT, Jayasheel A, Suryakanth DB. Comparative Evaluation of Colour Stability and Surface Hardness of Methacrylate Based Flowable and Packable Composite – In vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Mar;11(3):ZC51-ZC54.
10. Abuelenain DA, Neel EAA, Al-Dharrab A. Surface and mechanical properties of different dental composites. Austin J Dent. 2015;2(2):1019.
11. Scougall-Vilchis RJ, Hotta Y, Hotta M, Idono T, Yamamoto K. Examination of composite resin with electron microscopy, microhardness tester and energy dispersive micro analyser. Dent Mater J. 2009;28(1):102-12.
12. Giannini M, Di Francescantonio M, Pacheco RR, Cidreira Boaro LC, Braga RR. Characterization of water sorption, solubility, and roughness of silorane- and methacrylate-based composite resins. Oper Dent 2014;39:264-272
13. Porto IC, de Aguiar FH, Brandt WC, Liporoni PC. Mechanical and physical properties of silorane and methacrylate-based composites. J Dent 2013;41:732-739.
14. Zhang Y, Xu J. Effect of immersion in various media on the sorption, solubility, elution of unreacted monomers, and flexural properties of two model dental composite compositions. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2008;19:2477-2483.
15. Calais JG, Soderholm KJ. Influence of filler type and water exposure on flexural strength of experimental composite resins. J Dent Res 1988; 67(5):836–840.
16. Mohammadi E, Pishevar L, Mirzakouchaki Boroujeni P. Effect of food simulating liquids on the flexural strength of a methacrylate and silorane-based composite. PLoS One. 2017 Dec 12;12(12):e0188829.
17.Asmussen E, Peutzfeldt A. Influence of selected components on crosslink density in polymer structures. Eur J Oral Sci 2001;109:282-285.
18. Schulze KA, Marshall SJ, Gansky SA, Marshall GW. Color stability and hardness in dental composites after accelerated aging. Dent Mater 2003; 19: 612-619.
19. de Moraes RR, Marimon JL, Schneider LF, Sinhoreti MA, Correr-Sobrinho L, Bueno M. Effects of 6 months of aging in water on hardness and surface roughness of two microhybrid dental composites. J Prosthodont. 2008; 17: 323-326.
20. Mayworm CD, Camargo SS Jr, Bastian FL. Influence of artificial saliva on abrasive wear and microhardness of dental composites filled with nanoparticles. J Dent 2008; 36: 703-710.
21. Fischer J, Roeske S, Stawarczyk B, Hämmerle CH. Investigations in the correlation between Martens hardness and flexural strength of composite resin restorative materials. Dent Mater J. 2010 Mar;29(2):188-92.
22. Söderholm KJ, Zigan M, Ragan M, Fischlschweiger W, Bergman M. Hydrolytic degradation of dental composites. J Dent Res. 1984 Oct ;63(10):1248-54.
23. Vieira C, Silva-Sousa YT, Pessarello NM, Rached-Junior FA, Souza-Gabriel AE. Effect of high-concentrated bleaching agents on the bond strength at dentin/resin interface and flexural strength of dentin. Braz Dent J. 2012;23(1):28-35.
24. Perez MM, Hita-Iglesias C, Ghinea R, Yebra A, Pecho OE, Ionescu AM, Crespo A, Hita E. Optical properties of supra-nano spherical filled resin composites compared to nanofilled, nano-hybrid and micro-hybrid composites. Dent Mater J. 2016;35(3):353-9.
25. Fonseca RB, Marques AS, Bernades K de O, Carlo HL, Naves LZ. Effect of glass fiber incorporation on flexural properties of experimental composites. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:542678. doi:10.1155/2014/542678
26. Ghavami-Lahiji M, Firouzmanesh M, Bagheri H, Jafarzadeh Kashi TS, Razazpour F, Behroozibakhsh M. The effect of thermocycling on the degree of conversion and mechanical properties of a microhybrid dental resin composite. Restor Dent Endod. 2018;43(2):e26.
27. Krüger J, Maletz R, Ottl P, Warkentin M. In vitro aging behavior of dental composites considering the influence of filler content, storage media and incubation time. PLoS One. 2018;13(4):e0195160.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.