Knowledge of dental students and professionals about the management of traumatic dental injuries: A critical literature review
Knowledge about the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic dental injuries (TDIs) is extremely important in improving the prognosis of such cases. Aim: To evaluate the knowledge of dental students and professionals about the management of TDIs, and the factors that influence this knowledge, through a literature review. Methods: An electronic search was performed in the PubMed database, with no language or date restrictions. Studies that evaluated the knowledge of dental students or professionals about the management of TDIs were considered eligible. Results: From a total of 1902 retrieved papers, 36 full-texts were assessed for eligibility, and 31 were included in this review. All studies evaluated TDI knowledge through questionnaires; 15 of them only concerned tooth avulsion. In general, knowledge about TDI treatment, both in deciduous and permanent dentition, was considered to be low or moderate. Individual factors (age and gender), professional factors (postgraduate degree, qualification time and place of work), and previous TDI knowledge (attendance frequency, previous education and self-judgment about the knowledge) influenced the knowledge and the frequency of correct answers. Conclusion: Dentistry student and professional knowledge about TDIs is not satisfactory.
Prevalence, etiology, and types of dental trauma in children and adolescents: systematic review and
meta-analysis. Med J Islam Repub Iran 2015 Jul;29(4):234.
2. Glendor U, Jonsson D, Halling A, Lindqvist K. Direct and indirect costs of dental trauma in Sweden:
a 2-year prospective study of children and adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2001 Apr;
3. El-Kalla IH, Shalan HM, Bakr RA. Impact of Dental Trauma on Quality of Life Among 11-14 Years
Schoolchildren. Contemp Clin Dent. 2017 Oct-Dec;8(4):538-544. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_428_17.
4. 4Malmgren B, Andreasen JO, Flores MT, Robertson A, DiAngelis AJ, Andersson L, et al. Guidelines for
the Management of Traumatic Dental Injuries: 3. Injuries in the Primary Dentition. Pediatr Dent. 2017
Sep 15;39(6):420-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2012.01146.x.
5. Andersson L, Andreasen JO, Day P, Heithersay G, Trope M, DiAngelis AJ, et al. Guidelines for the
Management of Traumatic Dental Injuries: 2. Avulsion of Permanent Teeth. Pediatr Dent. 2017 Sep
15;39(6):412-419. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2012.01125.x.
6. Diangelis AJ, Andreasen JO, Ebeleseder KA, Kenny DJ, Trope M, Sigurdsson A, et al. Guidelines for the
Management of Traumatic Dental Injuries: 1. Fractures and Luxations of Permanent Teeth. Pediatr
Dent. 2017 Sep 15;39(6):401-411. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2011.01103.x.
7. de Vasconcellos LG, Brentel AS, Vanderlei AD, de Vasconcellos LM, Valera MC, de Araujo
MA. Knowledge of general dentists in the current guidelines for emergency treatment
of avulsed teeth and dental trauma prevention. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Dec;25(6):578-83.
8. Emerich K, Kaczmarek J. First aid for dental trauma caused by sports activities:
state of knowledge, treatment and prevention. Sports Med. 2010 May 1;40(5):361-6.
9. Maran S, Shashikiran ND, Ahirwar P, Maran P, Raj Kannojiya P, Niranjan B. Prevalence of Dental Caries
and Traumatic Dental Injuries among 6- to 12-year-old Children in Bhopal City, India. Int J Clin Pediatr
Dent. 2017 Apr-Jun;10(2):172-176. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1429.
10. Stewart SM, Mackie IC. Establishment and evaluation of a trauma clinic based in a primary care
setting. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2004 Nov;14(6):409-16.
11. Antunes LS, Debossan PF, Bohrer LS, Abreu FV, Quintanilha LE, Antunes LA. Impact of traumatic
dental injury on the quality-of-life of children and adolescents: a case-control study. Acta Odontol
Scand. 2013 Sep;71(5):1123-8. doi: 10.3109/00016357.2012.750011.
12. Akhlaghi N, Nourbakhsh N, Khademi A, Karimi L. General Dental Practitioners’ Knowledge about the
Emergency Management of Dental Trauma. Iran Endod J. 2014 Fall;9(4):251-6.
13. AlJazairy YH, Halawany HS, AlMaflehi N, Alhussainan NS, Abraham NB, Jacob V. Knowledge about
permanent tooth avulsion and its management among dentists in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. BMC Oral
Health. 2015 Nov 2;15(1):135. doi: 10.1186/s12903-015-0126-3.
14. Baginska J, Wilczynska-Borawska M. Knowledge of nurses working at schools in Bialystok,
Poland, of tooth avulsion and its management. Dent Traumatol. 2012 Aug;28(4):314-9.
15. Cinar C, Atabek D, Alacam A. Knowledge of dentists in the management of traumatic dental injuries
in Ankara, Turkey. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2013;11(1):23-30. doi: 10.3290/j.ohpd.a29372.
16. Cohenca N, Forrest JL, Rotstein I. Knowledge of oral health professionals of treatment of avulsed
teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2006 Dec;22(6):296-301.
17. de Franca RI, Traebert J, de Lacerda JT. Brazilian dentists’ knowledge regarding immediate treatment
of traumatic dental injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2007 Oct;23(5):287-90.
18. Frujeri Mde L, Costa ED, Jr. Effect of a single dental health education on the management
of permanent avulsed teeth by different groups of professionals. Dent Traumatol. 2009
Jun;25(3):262-71. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00760.x.
19. Hu LW, Prisco CR, Bombana AC. Knowledge of Brazilian general dentists and endodontists about the
emergency management of dento-alveolar trauma. Dent Traumatol. 2006 Jun;22(3):113-7.
20. Kostopoulou MN, Duggal MS. A study into dentists’ knowledge of the treatment of traumatic injuries
to young permanent incisors. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2005 Jan;15(1):10-9.
21. Krastl G, Filippi A, Weiger R. German general dentists’ knowledge of dental trauma. Dent Traumatol.
2009 Feb;25(1):88-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00706.x.
22. Limbu S, Dikshit P, Bhagat T, Mehata S. Knowledge of dental interns towards emergency
management of avulsed tooth in dental colleges in Nepal. J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2014
23. Menezes MC, Carvalho RG, Accorsi-Mendonca T, De-Deus G, Moreira EJ, Silva EJ. Knowledge of
Dentists on the Management of Tooth Avulsion Injuries in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Oral Health Prev
Dent. 2015;13(5):457-60. doi: 10.3290/j.ohpd.a33923.
24. Pedrini D, Panzarini SR, Poi WR, Sundefeld ML, Tiveron AR. Dentists’ level of knowledge of the
treatment plans for periodontal ligament injuries after dentoalveolar trauma. Braz Oral Res. 2011
25. Qazi SR, Nasir KS. First-aid knowledge about tooth avulsion among dentists, doctors and lay people.
Dent Traumatol. 2009 Jun;25(3):295-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2009.00782.x.
26. Ravikumar D, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists
in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: a cross-sectional questionnaire study. Eur J Dent.
2017 Apr-Jun;11(2):232-237. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_357_16.
27. Re D, Augusti D, Paglia G, Augusti G, Cotti E. Treatment of traumatic dental injuries: evaluation of
knowledge among Italian dentists. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2014 Mar;15(1): 23-8.
28. Skaare AB, Pawlowski AA, Maseng Aas AL, Espelid I. Dentists’ self-estimation of their
competence to treat avulsion and root fracture injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2015 Oct;31(5):368-73.
29. Stokes AN, Anderson HK, Cowan TM. Lay and professional knowledge of methods for emergency
management of avulsed teeth. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1992 Aug;8(4):160-2.
30. Tondelli PM, Mendonca MR, Cuoghi OA, Pereira AL, Busato MC. Knowledge on dental
trauma and orthodontic tooth movement held by a group of orthodontists. Braz Oral Res.
31. Traebert J, Traiano ML, Armenio R, Barbieri DB, de Lacerda JT, Marcenes W. Knowledge of lay people
and dentists in emergency management of dental trauma. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Jun;25(3):277-83.
32. Upadhyay S, Rokaya D, Upadhayaya C. Knowledge of emergency management of avulsed teeth
among general dentists in Kathmandu. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 2012 Apr-Jun;10(38):37-40.
33. Westphalen VP, Martins WD, Deonizio MD, da Silva Neto UX, da Cunha CB, Fariniuk LF. Knowledge of
general practitioners dentists about the emergency management of dental avulsion in Curitiba, Brazil.
Dent Traumatol. 2007 Feb;23(1):6-8.
34. Yeng T, Parashos P. An investigation into dentists’ management methods of dental trauma
to maxillary permanent incisors in Victoria, Australia. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Aug;24(4):443-8.
35. Zadik Y, Marom Y, Levin L. Dental practitioners’ knowledge and implementation of the 2007
International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for management of dental trauma. Dent
Traumatol. 2009 Oct;25(5):490-3. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2009.00805.x.
36. Zaleckiene V, Peciuliene V, Brukiene V, Jakaitiene A, Aleksejuniene J, Zaleckas L. Knowledge about
traumatic dental injuries in the permanent dentition: A survey of Lithuanian dentists. Dent Traumatol.
2018 Apr;34(2):100-106. doi: 10.1111/edt.12388.
37. Zhao Y, Gong Y. Knowledge of emergency management of avulsed teeth: a survey of dentists in
Beijing, China. Dent Traumatol. 2010 Jun;26(3):281-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.2010.00877.x.
38. Al-Shamiri HM, AlShalawi FE, AlJumah TM, AlHarthi MM, AlAli EM, AlHarthi HM. Knowledge, Attitude
and Practice of Hepatitis B Virus Infection among Dental Students and Interns in Saudi Arabia. J Clin
Exp Dent. 2018 Jan 1;10(1):e54-e60. doi: 10.4317/jced.54418.
39. AlZoubi F, Mannocci F, Newton T, Manoharan A, Djemal S. What do dental students know about
trauma? Dent Traumatol. 2015 Dec;31(6):482-6. doi: 10.1111/edt.12198.
40. Fujita Y, Shiono Y, Maki K. Knowledge of emergency management of avulsed tooth among Japanese
dental students. BMC Oral Health. 2014 Apr 8;14:34. doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-14-34.
41. Jain N, Srilatha A, Doshi D, Nellutla A, Alam KS. Knowledge of emergency management of avulsed
tooth among intern dental students: a questionnaire based study. I Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2018
Aug 17. doi: 10.1515/ijamh-2017-0203.
42. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, Group P. Preferred reporting items for systematic
reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009 Oct;62(10):1006-12.
43. JO A, FM A. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 3rd ed. Copenhagen:
44. Almalik M, Alnowaiser A, El Meligy O, Sallam J, Balkheyour Y. Clinical Anxiety among Saudi
Postgraduate Pediatric Dentistry Students in Jeddah City. Int J Dent. 2018 Feb 27;2018:5863869.
45. Madhan B, Rajpurohit AS, Gayathri H. Mental health of postgraduate orthodontic students in India:
a multi-institution survey. J Dent Educ. 2012 Feb;76(2):200-9.
46. Herlitz A, Nilsson LG, Backman L. Gender differences in episodic memory. Mem Cognit 1997
47. Lewin C, Herlitz A. Sex differences in face recognition--women’s faces make the difference. Brain
Cogn 2002 Oct;50(1):121-8.
48. Oberg C, Larsson M, Backman L. Differential sex effects in olfactory functioning: the role of verbal
processing. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2002 Jul;8(5):691-8.
49. Parashos P, Messer HH. Uptake of rotary NiTi technology within Australia. Aust Dent J. 2005
50. Al-Musawi A, Al-Sane M, Andersson L. Smartphone App as an aid in the emergency management of
avulsed teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2017 Feb;33(1):13-8. doi: 10.1111/edt.12298.
51. Nayak PP, Nayak SS, Sathiyabalan D, Aditya NK, Das P. Assessing the Feasibility and Effectiveness
of an App in Improving Knowledge on Oral Cancer-an Interventional Study. J Cancer Educ. 2018
Dec;33(6):1250-1254. doi: 10.1007/s13187-017-1239-y.
52. Deshpande S, Chahande J, Rathi A. Mobile learning app: A novel method to teach clinical
decision making in prosthodontics. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2017 Jan-Apr;30(1):31-34.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.