Analysis of IL-10 in HIV-1 patients with chronic periodontitis in northern Brazil
Aim: The objective of this study was to investigate the levels of IL-10 in the gingival crevicular fluid in HIV-1 positive patients with chronic periodontitis and to compare with HIV-1 negative patients with chronic periodontitis, also to correlate clinical periodontal parameters, viral load and count of CD4 + and CD8 + lymphocytes (LTCD4 + and LTCD8 +). Methods: 33 patients were selected and splitted into two groups: 16 HIV-1 positive patients and 17 HIV-1 negative patients and all with chronic periodontitis. The clinical periodontal parameters recorded were: Probing Depth (PD) and Clinical Attachment Level (CAL); the sistemical parameters LTCD4 +, LTCD8 + and viral load were analized by the gingival crevicular fluid collected from all patients. Enzymelinked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) was used to determine the concentrations of Interleukin (IL)-10. For the statistical analysis the Student t, Mann-Whitney and Spearman tests were performed. IL-10 levels were significantly lower in both patients groups. Results: There was statistical difference betwen groups for probing depth (p=0.015) and clinical attachment level (p=0.011), no significant correlation was found among the analyzed variables. Conclusion: The IL-10 levels in HIV-1 positive patients had no influence in periodontal and medical parameters.
2. Freitas FB, Lima SS, Feitosa RN, Azevedo VN, Ishak Mde O, Ishak R, et al. Polymorphisms in the IFNγ, IL-10, and TGFβ genes may be associated with HIV-1 infection. Dis Markers. 2015;2015:248571. 3. Singh S, Sharma A, Arora SK. Combination of low producer AA-genotypes in IFN-γ and IL-10 genes makes a high risk genetic variant for HIV disease progression. Cytokine. 2016 Jan;77:135-44.
4. Jegede FE, Oyeyi TI, Abdulrahman SA, Mbah HA, Badru T, Agbakwuru C, et al. Effect of HIV and malaria parasites co-infection on immune-hematological profiles among patients attending antiretroviral treatment (ART) clinic in Infectious Disease Hospital Kano, Nigeria. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 27;12(3):e0174233.
5. Chin BS. Molecular Epidemiology of Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Infect Chemother. 2017 Mar;49(1):1-9.
6. Noguera-Julian M, Guillén Y, Peterson J, Reznik D, Harris EV, Joseph SJ, et al. Oral microbiome in HIVassociated periodontitis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Mar;96(12):e5821.
7. Elizondo JE, Rocha-Pizaña MD, Treviño AC, Violant D, Álvarez MM, Rivas-Estilla AM. Potential gingival crevicular fluid and serum biomarkers by stage of HIV infection. Cytokine. 2017 Mar;91:96-103.
8. Bing XJ, Sun XJ, Shen GH, Xie H, Ma MY. [Levels of IL-8,IL-10 in patients with chronic periodontitis and coronary heart disease]. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue. 2015 Oct;24(5):598-601. Chinese.
9. Zhang Q, Chen B, Zhu D, Yan F. Biomarker levels in gingival crevicular fluid of subjects with diferente periodontalconditions: A cross-sectional study. Arch Oral Biol. 2016 Dec;72:92-8.
10. Guimarães G, Franco GCN, Cortelli JR, Cogo K, Costa FO, Aquino DR, et al. [Subjects harboring HIV show poor clinical periodontal condition and higher prevalence of Porphyromonas gingivalis and Tannerella forsythia]. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2012 Jan-Feb;41(1):15-21. [Portuguese].
11. Jiang C, Liu S, Liu S, Li Z, Chen P, Chen L. Association Between the Interleukin-10-1082G/A, -592C/A, -819C/T Gene Polymorphism and HIV-1 Susceptibility: A Meta-Analysis. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2017 Jan;33(1):61-7.
12. Goutoudi P, Diza E, Arvanitidou M. Effect of periodontal therapy on crevicular fluid interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 levels in chronic periodontitis. Int J Dent. 2012;2012:362905.
13. Armitage GC. Periodontal diseases: diagnosis. Ann Periodontol. 1996 Nov;1(1):37-215.
14. Severino VO, Beghini M, de Araújo MF, de Melo ML, Miguel CB, Rodrigues WF, et al. Expression of IL-6, IL-10, IL-17 and IL-33 in the peri-implant crevicular fluid of patients with peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis. Arch Oral Biol. 2016 Dec;72:194-9.
15. Pirim Gorgun E, Toker H, Korkmaz EM, Poyraz O. IL-6 and IL-10 gene polymorphisms in patients with aggressive periodontitis: effects on GCF, serum and clinic parameters. Jan 16;31:e12.
16. Passoja A, Puijola I, Knuuttila M, Niemelä O, Karttunen R, Raunio T, et al. Serum levels of interleukin-10 and tumour necrosis factor-α in chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2010 Oct;37(10):881-7.
17. Silveira VR, Pigossi SC, Scarel-Caminaga RM, Cirelli JA, Rêgo R, Nogueira NA. Analysis of polymorphisms in Interleukin 10, NOS2A, and ESR2 genes in chronic and aggressive periodontitis. Braz Oral Res. 2016 Oct 10;30(1):e105.
18. Moretti S, Bartolommei L, Galosi C, Renga G, Oikonomou V, Zamparini F, et al. Fine-tuning of Th17 Cytokines in Periodontal Disease by IL-10. J Dent Res. 2015 Sep;94(9):1267-75.
19. John CN, Stephen LX , Joyce África CW. Is human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) stage an independent risk factor for altering the periodontal status of HIV-positive patients? A South African study. BMC Saúde Oral 2013 Dez 3;13:69.
20. Dmello DM, Ariyanto I, Estiasari R, Halstrom S, Gaff J, Lee S, et al. Polymorphisms in IL10 may alter CD4 T-cell counts in Indonesian HIV patients beginning antiretroviral therapy. Hum Immunol. 2017 Apr;78(4):387-90.
21. Ujiie Y, Karakida T, Yamakoshi Y, Ohshima T, Gomi K, Oida S. Interleukin-4 released from human gingival fibroblasts reduces osteoclastogenesis. Arch Oral Biol. 2016 Dec;72:187-93.
22. Jaradat SM, Ababneh KT, Jaradat SA, Abbadi MS, Taha AH, Karasneh JA, et al. Association of interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphisms with chronic and aggressive periodontitis. Oral Dis. 2012;18(3):271-9.
23. Teles RP, Likhari V, Socransky SS, Haffajee AD. Salivary cytokine levels in subjects with chronic periodontitis and in periodontallyhealthy individuals: a cross-sectional study. J Periodontal Res. 2009 Jun;44(3):411-7.
24. Cullinan MP, Westerman B, Hamlet SM, Palmer JE, Faddy MJ, Seymour GJ et al. Progression of periodontal disease and interleukin-10 gene polymorphism. J Periodontal Res. 2008 Jun;43(3):328-33.
25. Lappin DF, MacLeod CP, Kerr A, Mitchell T, Kinane DF. Anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 and T cell cytokine profile in periodontitis granulation tissue. Clin Exp Immunol. 2001;123(2):294-300.
26. Noro Filho GA, Salgado DM, Casarin RC, Casati MZ, Costa C, Giovani EM. Anti-infective periodontal therapy promoting improvement in systemic markers of HIV infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2013 Jul;29(7):1040-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.