Effect of air-polishing on properties of nanocomposite submitted to coffee, red wine and cigarette smoke
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the surface roughness and the color stability of nanocomposite exposed to the sodium bicarbonate air-polishing (SBAP) followed by red wine, coffee and cigarette smoke exposure. Materials and Methods: 64 nanocomposite specimens were prepared and allocated in 8 groups: G1 (SBAP + distilled water), G2 (SBAP + coffee), G3 (SBAP + red wine), G4 (SBAP + cigarette smoke), G5 (distilled water), G6 (coffee), G7 (red wine) and G8 (cigarette smoke). The surface roughness was evaluated in three periods: before and after SBAP and after exposuring to agents tested. The color was evaluated according to CIEL*a*b* parameters using reflection spectrophotometer in two moments: initial and 30 days after the exposure to staining agents. Data were subjected to three-way repeated measures ANOVA and Tukey’s test (5%). Results: The results showed a higher surface roughness of the nanocomposite submitted only to the SBAP and those exposed to the SBAP followed by exposure to the coffee or wine solution. The previous application of SBAP followed by cigarette smoke exposure did not increase the roughness of nanocomposite. The SBAP procedure just increased the staining for cigarette smoke group. Conclusion: The SBAP increases resin surface roughness, which worsens when there is exposure to coffee and red wine solution.
In addition, SBAP may also provide increased staining of nanocomposites exposed to cigarette smoke.
2. Gönülol N, Yilmaz F. The effects of finishing and polishing techniques on surface roughness and color stability of nanocomposites. J Dent. 2012 Dec;40 Suppl 2:e64-70. doi: 10.1016/j. jdent.2012.07.005.
3. Güler AU, Duran I, Yücel AÇ, Özkan P. Effects of air polishing powders on the surface roughness of composite resins. J Dent Sci. 2010 Sep;5(3):136-43. doi: 10.1016/S1991-7902(10)60020-7.
4. Da Costa J, Goncalves F, Ferracane J. Comparison of Two-Step Versus Four-Step Composite Finishing/Polishing Disc Systems: Evaluation of a New Two-Step Composite Polishing Disc System. Oper Dent. 2011 Mar-Apr;36(2):205-12. doi: 10.2341/10-162-L.
5. Lainović T, Vilotić M, Blažić L, Kakaš D, Marković D, Ivanišević A. Determination of surface roughness and topography of dental resin-based nanocomposites using AFM analysis. Bosn J Basic Med Sci. 2013 Feb;13(1):34-43.
6. Isabel CAC, Dominguette AAS, Santos SG dos, Ribeiro JCR, Moyses MR. Surface roughness of a resin composite. RGO. 2016 Jan/Mar;64(1):50-5.
7. DA Silva MAB, Vitti RP, Sinhoreti MAC, Consani RLX, Silva-Júnior JG da, Tonholo J. Effect of alcoholic beverages on surface roughness and microhardness of dental composites. Dent Mater J. 2016;35(4):621-6. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2015-383.
8. Lepri CP, Palma-Dibb RG. Surface roughness and color change of a composite: Influence of beverages and brushing. Dent Mater J. 2012;31(4):689-96.
9. Kumari RV, Nagaraj H, Siddaraju K, Poluri RK. Evaluation of the Effect of Surface Polishing, Oral Beverages and Food Colorants on Color Stability and Surface Roughness of Nanocomposite Resins. J Int oral Heal. 2015 Jul;7(7):63-70.
10. Jones CS, Billington RW, Pearson GJ. The in vivo perception of roughness of restorations. Br Dent J. 2004 Jan 10;196(1):42-5; discussion 31.
11. Graumann SJ, Sensat ML, Stoltenberg JL. Air polishing: a review of current literature. J Dent Hyg. 2013 Aug;87(4):173-80.
12. Kimyai S, Pournaghi-Azar F, Daneshpooy M, Kahnamoii MA, Davoodi F. Effect of two prophylaxis methods on marginal gap of Cl V resin-modified glass-ionomer restorations. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2016 Winter;10(1):23-9. doi: 10.15171/joddd.2016.004.
13. Vitória LA, Aguiar TR, Santos PRB, Cavalcanti AN, Mathias P. Changes in water sorption and solubility of dental adhesive systems after cigarette smoke. ISRN Dent. 2013 Jul 28;2013:605847. doi: 10.1155/2013/605847.
14. Mathias P, Rossi TA, Cavalcanti AN, Lima MJ, Fontes CM, Da Rocha Nogueira-Filho G. Cigarette smoke combined with staining beverages decreases luminosity and increases pigmentation in composite resin restorations. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2011 Mar;32(2):66-70.
15. Patil SS, Rakhewar PS, Limaye PS, Chaudhari NP. A comparative evaluation of plaque-removing efficacy of air polishing and rubber-cup, bristle brush with paste polishing on oral hygiene status: A clinical study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent.2015 Nov-Dec;5(6):457-62.
16. Johnson WW, Barnes CM, Covey DA, Walker MP, Ross JA. The effects of a commercial aluminum airpolishing powder on dental restorative materials. J Prosthodont. 2004 Sep;13(3):166-72.
17. Alandia-Roman CC, Cruvinel DR, Sousa ABS, Pires-De-Souza FCP, Panzeri H. Effect of cigarette smoke on color stability and surface roughness of dental composites. J Dent. 2013 Aug;41 Suppl 3:e73-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2012.12.004.
18. Bansal K, Acharya SR, Saraswathi V. Effect of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on color stability and surface roughness of resin composites: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2012 Jul;15(3):283-8. doi: 10.4103/0972-0707.97961.
19. Falkensammer F, Arnetzl GV, Wildburger A, Freudenthaler J. Color stability of different composite resin materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2013 Jun;109(6):378-83. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3913(13)60323-6.
20. Arabaci T, Ciçek Y, Ozgöz M, Canakçi V, Canakçi CF, Eltas A. The comparison of the effects of three types of piezoelectric ultrasonic tips and air polishing system on the filling materials: an in vitro study. Int J Dent Hyg. 2007 Nov;5(4):205-10.
21. Salerno M, Giacomelli L, Derchi G, Patra N, Diaspro A. Atomic force microscopy in vitro study of surface roughness and fractal character of a dental restoration composite after air-polishing. Biomed Eng Online. 2010 Oct 12;9:59. doi: 10.1186/1475-925X-9-59.
22. Giacomelli L, Salerno M, Derchi G, Genovesi A, Paganin PP, Covani U. Effect of air polishing with glycine and bicarbonate powders on a nanocomposite used in dental restorations: an in vitro study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2011 Sep-Oct;31(5):e51-6.
23. Sturz CRC, Faber F-J, Scheer M, Rothamel D, Neugebauer J. Effects of various chair-side surface treatment methods on dental restorative materials with respect to contact angles and surface roughness. Dent Mater J. 2015;34(6):796-813. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2014-098.
24. Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Al-Kheraif AA, Zahid A, Divakar DD. Effect of different pH solvents on microhardness and surface topography of dental nano-composite: An in vitro analysis. Pak J Med Sci. 2015 Jul-Aug;31(4):854-9. doi: 10.12669/pjms.314.7517.
25. Takeuchi CYG, Corrêa-Afonso AM, Pedrazzi H, Dinelli W, Palma-Dibb RG. Deposition of lead and cadmium released by cigarette smoke in dental structures and resin composite. Microsc Res Tech. 2011 Mar;74(3):287-91. doi: 10.1002/jemt.20903.
26. Leite MLAS, Silva FDSCM, Meireles SS, Duarte RM, Andrade A, Karina M. The effect of drinks on color stability and surface roughness of nanocomposites. Eur J Dent. 2014 Jul;8(3):330-6. doi: 10.4103/1305-7456.137640.
27. Dos Santos PA, Garcia PPNS, De Oliveira ALBM, Chinelatti MA, Palma-Dibb RG. Chemical and morphological features of dental composite resin: Influence of light curing units and immersion media. Microsc Res Tech. 2010 Mar;73(3):176-81. doi: 10.1002/jemt.20769.
28. Villalta P, Lu H, Okte Z, Garcia-Godoy F, Powers JM. Effects of staining and bleaching on color change of dental composite resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Feb;95(2):137-42.
29. Tantanuch S, Kukiattrakoon B. Surface roughness and erosion of nanohybrid and nanofilled resin composites after immersion in red and white wine. J Conserv Dent. 2016 Jan-Feb;19(1):51-5. doi: 10.4103/0972-0707.173199.
30. Mathias P, Costa L, Saraiva LO, Rossi TA, Cavalcanti AN, Da Rocha Nogueira-Filho G. Morphologic texture characterization allied to cigarette smoke increase pigmentation in composite resin restorations. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2010 Aug;22(4):252-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1708-8240.2010.00347.x.
31. White JL, Conner BT, Perfetti TA, Bombick BR, Avalos JT, Fowler KW, et al. Effect of pyrolysis temperature on the mutagenicity of tobacco smoke condensate. Food Chem Toxicol. 2001 May;39(5):499-505.
32. Mahross HZ, Mohamed MD, Hassan AM, Baroudi K. Effect of Cigarette Smoke on Surface Roughness of Different Denture Base Materials. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Sep;9(9):ZC39-42. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/14580.6488.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.