Radiant exposure effects on physical properties of methacrylate – and silorane-composites
Aim: To evaluate the effect of different radiant exposures on the degree of conversion (DC), Knoop hardness number (KHN), plasticization (P), water sorption (WS), and solubility (S) of different monomer resin-based composites. Methods: Circular specimens (5 x 2 mm) were manufactured from methacrylate and silorane composite resins, and light-cured at 19.8, 27.8, 39.6, and 55.6 J/cm2, using second-generation LED at 1,390 mW/cm2. After 24 h, DC was obtained using a FT-Raman spectrometer equipped with a Nd:YAG laser, KHN was measured with 50-g load for 15 s, and P was evaluated on the top and bottom surfaces by the percentage of hardness reduction after 24 h immersed in absolute alcohol. WS and S were determined according to ISO 4049. Data were subjected to statistical analysis (α=0.05). Results: Methacrylate material presented higher DC, KHN, P, and WS than silorane (p<0.05). There was no difference in the S values (p>0.05). The increased radiant exposures improved only the KHN (p<0.05). In general, top surfaces showed higher DC and KHN than bottom, for both materials (p<0.05). The increase of the radiant exposure did not improve most physical properties of the composites and were monomerbase dependent. Conclusions: Chemical composition of the composite resins resulted in different physical properties behavior and could affect the clinical longevity of dental restorations, but overall these properties were not influenced by the different radiant exposures evaluated in the study.
2. Da Rosa Rodolpho PA, Donassollo TA, Cenci MS, Loguércio AD, Moraes RR, Bronkhorst EM, et al. 22-year clinical evaluation of the performance of two posterior composites with different filler characteristics. Dent Mater. 2011; 27: 955-63.
3. Filho JD, Poskus LT, Guimarães JG, Barcellos AA, Silva EM. Degree of conversion and plasticization of dimethacrylate-based polymeric matrices: influence of light-curing mode. J Oral Sci. 2008; 50: 315-21.
4. Baek DM, Park JK, Son SA, Ko CC, Garcia-Godoy F, Kim HI, et al. Mechanical properties of composite resins light-cured using blue DPSS laser. Lasers Med Sci. 2013; 28: 597-604.
5. Van Ende A, De Munck J, Mine A, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Does a low-shrinking composite induce less stress at the adhesive interface? Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 215-22.
6. Weinmann W, Thalacker C, Guggenberger R. Siloranes in dental composites. Dent Mater. 2005; 21: 68-74.
7. Asmussen E, Peutzfeldt A. Influence of selected components on crosslink density in polymer structures. Eur J Oral Sci. 2001; 109: 282-5.
8. Palin WM, Fleming GJ, Nathwani H, Burke FJ, Randall RC. In vitro cuspal deflection and microleakage of maxillary premolars restored with novel low-shrink dental composites. Dent Mater. 2005; 21: 324-35.
9. Duarte S Jr, Phark JH, Varjão FM, Sadan A. Nanoleakage, ultramorphological characteristics, and microtensile bond strengths of a new low-shrinkage composite to dentin after artificial aging. Dent Mater. 2009; 25: 589-600.
10. Mine A, De Munck J, Van Ende A, Cardoso MV, Kuboki T, Yoshida Y, et al. TEM characterization of a silorane composite bonded to enamel/ dentin. Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 524-32.
11. Leprince J, Palin WM, Mullier T, Devaux J, Vreven J, Leloup G. Investigating filler morphology and mechanical properties of new lowshrinkage resin composite types. J Oral Rehabil. 2010; 37: 364-76.
12. Aguiar FH, Lazzari CR, Lima DA, Ambrosano GM, Lovadino JR. Effect of light curing tip distance and resin shade on microhardness of a hybrid resin composite. Braz Oral Res. 2005; 19: 302-6.
13. Borges BC, Souza-Junior EJ, Catelan A, Ambrosano GM, Paulillo LA, Aguiar FH. Impact of extended radiant exposure time on polymerization depth of fluoride-containing fissure sealer materials. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2011; 24: 47-51.
14. Heo YJ, Lee GH, Park JK, Ro JH, García-Godoy F, Kim HI, et al. Effect of energy density on low-shrinkage composite resins: diode-pumped solid state laser versus quartz-tungsten-halogen light-curing unit. Photomed Laser Surg. 2013; 31: 28-35.
15. Kusgoz A, Ülker M, Yesilyurt C, Yoldas OH, Ozil M, Tanriver M. Silorane-based composite: depth of cure, surface hardness, degree of conversion, and cervical microleakage in Class II cavities. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2011; 23: 324-35.
16. Schneider LF, Moraes RR, Cavalcante LM, Sinhoretti MA, Correr- Sobrinho L, Consani S. Cross-link density evaluation through softening tests: effect of ethanol concentration. Dent Mater. 2008; 24: 199-203
17. Opdam NJ, Bronkhorst EM, Loomans BA, Huysmans MC. 12-year survival of composite vs. amalgam restorations. J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 1063-7.
18. Boaro LC, Gonçalves F, Guimarães TC, Ferracane JL, Pfeifer CS, Braga RR. Sorption, solubility, shrinkage and mechanical properties of “low-shrinkage” commercial resin composites. Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 398-404.
19. Gonçalves F, Kawano Y, Braga RR. Contraction stress related to composite inorganic content. Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 704-9.
20. Say EC, Civelek A, Nobecourt A, Ersoy M, Guleryus C. Wear and microhardness of different resin composite materials. Oper Dent. 2003; 28: 628-34.
21. Ferracane JL. Hygroscopic and hydrolytic effects in dental polymer networks. Dent Mater. 2006; 22: 211-22.
22. Giannini M, Di Francescantonio M, Pacheco RR, Cidreira Boaro LC, Braga RR. Characterization of water sorption, solubility, and roughness of silorane- and methacrylate-based composite resins. Oper Dent. 2014; 39: 264-72.
23. Gerhardt K, Silva AS, Rego G, Sinhoreti MA, Salgado VE, Schneider LF. Bulk and surface properties related to composite filler size. Braz J Oral Sci. 2013; 12: 323-9
24. da Silva EM, Almeida GS, Poskus LT, Guimarães JG. Relationship between the degree of conversion, solubility and salivary sorption of a hybrid and a nanofill resin composite. J Applied Oral Sci. 2008; 16: 161-6.
25. Faria-e-Silva AL, Lima AF, Moraes RR, Piva E, Martins LR. Degree of conversion of etch-and-rinse and self-etch adhesives light-cured using QTH or LED. Oper Dent. 2010; 35: 649-54.
26. Catelan A, Ambrosano GM, Lima DA, Marchi GM, Aguiar FH. Influence of radiant exposure on degree of conversion, water sorption and solubility of self-etch adhesives. Int J Adhes Adhes. 2013; 46: 40-3.
27. Torres SA, Silva GC, Maria DA, Campos WR, Magalhães CS, Moreira AN. Degree of conversion and hardness of a silorane-based composite resin: effect of light-curing unit and depth. Oper Dent. 2014; 39: E137-46.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.