Impact of light-curing time and aging on dentin bond strength of methacrylate- and siloranebased restorative systems
Aim: To evaluate the impact of different light-curing times on dentin microtensile bond strength of two restorative systems after 24 h and 6 months of water storage. Methods: Standardized Class II preparations were performed in 56 freshly-extracted human molars (n = 7), restored with methacrylate- or silorane-based restorative systems, and light-cured using a light-emitting diode at 1390 mW/cm2 by the recommended manufacturers’ time or double this time. After storage for 24 h at 37 oC, the teeth were sectioned to yield a series of 0.8-mm thick slices. Each slab was trimmed into an hourglass shape of approximately 0.64 mm2 area at the gingival dentin-resin interface. Specimens were tested using universal testing machine at crosshead speed of 0.5 mm/min until failure, after 24 h and 6 months of storage. Data were statistically analyzed by three-way ANOVA and Tukey’s test (α = 0.05). Results: The highest bond strength values were recorded for the groups restored with methacrylate system (p<0.001) as well as for extended light-curing time (p = 0.0034). There was no statistically significant difference between 24 h and 6 months storage on bond strength (p>0.05). Conclusions: Bond strength was influenced by the material and lightcuring time, but the 6-month storage did not affect the bond strength of restorations.
2. Asmussen E, Peutzfeldt A. Influence of selected components on crosslink density in polymer structures. Eur J Oral Sci. 2001; 109: 282-5.
3. Yap AU, Seneviratne C. Influence of light density on effectiveness of composite cure. Oper Dent. 2001; 26: 460-6.
4. Palin WM, Fleming GJ, Nathwani H, Burke FJ, Randall RC. In vitro cuspal deflection and microleakage of maxillary premolars restored with novel low-shrink dental composites. Dent Mater. 2005; 21: 324-35.
5. Duarte S Jr, Phark JH, Varjão FM, Sadan A. Nanoleakage, ultramorphological characteristics, and microtensile bond strengths of a new low-shrinkage composite to dentin after artificial aging. Dent Mater. 2009; 25: 589-600.
6. Mine A, De Munck J, Van Ende A, Cardoso MV, Kuboki T, Yoshida Y, et al. TEM characterization of a silorane composite bonded to enamel/dentin. Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 524-32.
7. Ilie N, Hickel R. Silorane-based dental composite: behavior and abilities. Dent Mater J. 2006; 25: 445-54.
8. Tezvergil-Mutluay A, Lassila LV, Vallittu PK. Incremental layers bonding of silorane composite: the initial bonding properties. J Dent. 2008; 36: 560-3.
9. Aguiar FH, Lazzari CR, Lima DA, Ambrosano GM, Lovadino JR. Effect of light curing tip distance and resin shade on microhardness of a hybrid resin composite. Braz Oral Res. 2005; 19: 302-6.
10. Borges BC, Souza-Junior EJ, Catelan A, Ambrosano GM, Paulillo LA, Aguiar FH. Impact of extended radiant exposure time on polymerization depth of fluoride-containing fissure sealer materials. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2011; 24: 47-51.
11. Catelan A, Ambrosano GM, Lima DA, Marchi GM, Aguiar FH. Influence of radiant exposure on degree of conversion, water sorption and solubility of self-etch adhesives. Int J Adhes Adhes. 2013; 46: 40-3.
12. Toledano M, Osorio R, Osorio E, Aguilera FS, Yamauti M, Pashley DH, et al. Durability of resin-dentin bonds: effects of direct/indirect exposure and storage media. Dent Mater. 2007; 23: 885-92.
13. De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Lambrechts P, Braem M, et al. A critical review of the durability of adhesion to tooth tissue: methods and results. J Dent Res. 2005; 84: 118-32.
14. Cabrera E, Macorra JC. Microtensile bond strength distributions of three composite materials with different polymerization shrinkages bonded to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2011; 13: 39-48.
15. Almeida e Silva JS, Rolla JN, Baratieri LN, Monteiro S Jr. The influence of different placement techniques on the microtensile bond strength of lowshrink silorane composite bonded to Class I cavities. Gen Dent. 2011; 59: e233-7.
16. Seki N, Nakajima M, Kishikawa R, Hosaka K, Foxton RM, Tagami J. The influence of light intensities irradiated directly and indirectly through resin composite to self-etch adhesives on dentin bonding. Dent Mater J. 2011; 30: 315-22.
17. Vanajasan PP, Dhakshinamoorthy M, Rao CS. Factors affecting the bond strength of self-etch adhesives: a meta-analysis of literature. J Conserv Dent. 2011; 14: 62-7.
18. Walter R, Swift EJ Jr, Nagaoka H, Chung Y, Bartholomew W, Braswell KM et al. Two-year bond strengths of “all-in-one” adhesives to dentine. J Dent. 2012; 40: 549-55.
19. Marchesi G, Frassetto A, Visintini E, Diolosà M, Turco G, Salgarello S, et al. Influence of ageing on self-etch adhesives: one-step vs. two-step systems. Eur J Oral Sci. 2013; 121: 43-9.
20. Yoshida Y, Nagakane K, Fukuda R, Nakayama Y, Okazaki M, Shintani H, et al. Comparative study on adhesive performance of functional monomers. J Dent Res. 2004; 83: 454-8.
21. Sarr M, Kane AW, Vreven J, Mine A, Van Landuyt KL, Peumans M, et al. Microtensile bond strength and interfacial characterization of 11 contemporary adhesives bonded to bur-cut dentin. Oper Dent. 2010; 35: 94-104.
22. Suyama Y, Lührs AK, De Munck J, Mine A, Poitevin A, Yamada T, et al. Potential smear layer interference with bonding of self-etching adhesives to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2013; 15: 317-24.
23. Ermis RB, De Munck J, Cardoso MV, Coutinho E, Van Landuyt KL, Poitevin A, et al. Bond strength of self-etch adhesives to dentin prepared with three different diamond burs. Dent Mater. 2008; 24: 978-85.
24. Prati C, Chersoni S, Montebugnoli L, Montanari G. Effect of air, dentin and resin-based composite thickness on light intensity reduction. Am J Dent. 1999; 12: 231-4.
25. Abdalla AI, Feilzer AJ. Four-year water degradation of a total-etch and two self-etching adhesives bonded to dentin. J Dent. 2008; 36: 611-7.
26. Oguri M, Yoshida Y, Yoshihara K, Miyauchi T, Nakamura Y, Shimoda S, et al. Effects of functional monomers and photo-initiators on the degree of conversion of a dental adhesive. Acta Biomater. 2012; 8: 1928-34.
27. Faria-e-Silva AL, Lima AF, Moraes RR, Piva E, Martins LR. Degree of conversion of etch-and-rinse and self-etch adhesives light-cured using QTH or LED. Oper Dent. 2010; 35: 649-54.
28. Krajangta N, Srisawasdi S. Microtensile bond strength of silorane-based resin composite and its corresponding adhesive in Class I occlusal restorations. Am J Dent. 2011; 24: 346-53.
29. Tay FR, Pashley DH, Peters MC. Adhesive permeability affects composite coupling to dentin treated with a self-etch adhesive. Oper Dent. 2003; 28: 610-21.
30. do Amaral RC, Stanislawczuk R, Zander-Grande C, Michel MD, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Active application improves the bonding performance of self-etch adhesives to dentin. J Dent. 2009; 37: 82-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.