Influence of mouthwashes on the physical properties of orthodontic acrylic resin
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of acrylic resin immersion in different mouthwashes on hardness, roughness and color. Methods: Specimens of an orthodontic selfcured acrylic resin (Orto Clas®) were produced and immersed in five mouthwashes: Plax®Classic (Colgate®); Plax® alcohol-free (Colgate®); Listerine® (Johnson & Johnson®); Periogard® (Colgate®) and Periogard® alcohol-free (Colgate®). Nine different immersion times were studied: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 24 h and 7 days, totalizing 45 groups. The specimens were evaluated before and after immersion by Knoop microhardness (n=5), roughness in Ra parameter (n=5), and colorimetric analysis, CIElab (n=3). Results: All mouthwashes softened the acrylic resins after 7 days of immersion. PlaxÒ alcohol-free showed no statistically significant difference of softening between the immersion times. Listerine® showed softening after immersion at all times. Plax®alcohol-free and Listerine® showed significantly increased values of roughness after 12 h of immersion (p<0.05). Listerine® presented a significant increase in color variation after 12 h of immersion. Conclusions: Immersion in mouthwashes could influence acrylic resin hardness, roughness and color.
2. Kim K, Heimisdrottir K, Gebauer U, Persson R. Clinical and microbiological findings at sites treated with orthodontic fixed appliances in adolescents. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010; 137: 223-8.
3. Batoni G, Pardini M, Giannotti A, Ota F, Giuca MR, Gabriele M. Effect of removable orthodontic appliances on oral colonization by mutans streptococci in children. Eur J Oral Sci. 2001; 109: 388-92.
4. Lessa FCR, Enoki C, Ito IY, Faria G, Aiko M, Matsumoto N, Nelson-Filho P. In-vivo evaluation of the bacterial contamination and disinfection of acrylic baseplates of removable orthodontic appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: 11-7.
5. Glass RT, Conrad RS, Bullard JW, Goodson LB, Mehta N, Lech SJ et al. Evaluation of microbial flora found in previously worn prostheses from the Northeast and Southwest regions of the United States. J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 103: 384-9.
6. Pavarina AC, Machado AL, Giampaolo ET, Vergani CE. Effects of chemical disinfectants on the transverse strength of denture base acrylic resins. J Oral Rehabil. 2003; 30: 1085-9.
7. Brightman LJ, Terezhalrny GT, Greenwell H, Jacobs M, Enlow DH. The effects of a 0.12% chlorhexidine gluconate mouthrinse on orthodontic patients aged 11 through 17 with established gingivitis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1991; 100: 324-9.
8. Pan PC, Harpera S, Ricci-Nittela D, Luxb R, Shi W. In-vitro evidence for efficacy of antimicrobial mouth rinses. J Dent. 2010; 38 (Suppl 1): 16-20.
9. Oyanagi T, Tagami J, Matin K. Potentials of Mouthwashes in Disinfecting Cariogenic Bacteria and Biofilms Leading to Inhibition of Caries. Open Dent J. 2012; 6: 23-30.
10. Raangs GC, Winkel EG, van Winkelhoff AJ. In vitro antimicrobial effects of two antihalitosis mouth rinses on oral pathogens and human tongue microbiota. Int J Dent Hyg. 2013; 11: 203-7.
11. Shim JY, Yim SB, Chung JH, Hong KS. Antiplaque and antigingivitis effects of a mouthrinse containing cetylpyridinium chloride, triclosan and dipotassium glycyrrhizinate. J Periodontal Implant Sci. 2012; 42: 33-8.
12. Ferracane JL. Hygroscopic and hydrolytic effects in dental polymer networks. Dent Mater. 2006; 22: 211-22.
13. Subramanya JK, Muttagi S. In vitro color change of three dental veneering resins in tea, coffee and tamarind extracts. J Dent. 2011; 8: 138-45.
14. Lee H, Lee C, Asaoka K. Correlation in the mechanical properties of acrylic denture base resins. Dent Mater J. 2012; 31: 157-64.
15. Neppelenbroek KH, Pavarina AC, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET. Hardness of heat-polymerized acrylic resins after disinfection and long-term water immersion. J Prosthet Dent. 2005; 93: 171-6.
16. Fernandes FHCN, Orsi IA, Villabona CA. Effects of the peracetic acid and sodium hypochlorite on the colour stability and surface roughness of the denture base acrylic resins polymerised by microwave and water bath methods. Gerodontology. 2013; 30: 18-25.
17. Miranda D de A, Bertoldo CE, Aguiar FH, Lima DA, Lovadino JR. Effects of mouthwashes on Knoop hardness and surface roughness of dental composites after different immersion times. Braz Oral Res. 2011; 25: 168-73.
18. Subramaniam P, Nandan N. Effect of xylitol, sodium fluoride and triclosan containing mouth rinse on Streptococcus mutans. Contemp Clin Dent. 2011; 2: 287-90.
19. Takeshita T, Suzuki N, Nakano Y, Shimaki Y, Yoneda M, Hirofuji T, Yamashita Y. Relationship between oral malodor and the global composition of indigenous bacterial populations in saliva. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010; 76: 2806-14.
20. Marcos-Arias C, Eraso E, Madariaga L, Quindós G. In vitro activities of natural products against oral Candida isolates from denture wearers. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011; 26: 11: 119.
21. Mavreas D, Athanasiou AE. Factors affecting the duration of orthodontic treatment: a systematic review. Eur J Orthod. 2008; 30: 386-95.
22. Bollen CM, Lambrechts P, Quirynen M. Comparison of surface roughness of oral hard materials to the threshold surface roughness for bacterial plaque retention: a review of the literature. Dent Mater. 1997; 13: 258-69.
23. Asad T, Watkinson AC, Huggett R. The effects of various disinfectant solutions on the surface hardness of acrylic resin denture base material. Int J Prosthodont. 1993; 6: 9-12.
24. Vlissidis D, Prombonas A. Effect of alcoholic drinks on surface quality and mechanical strength of denture base materials. J Biomed Mater Res. 1997; 38: 257-61.
25. Smith DC. The cleansing of dentures. Dent Pract Dent Rec. 1966; 17: 39-43.
26. Polydorou O, Trittler R, Hellwiga E. Elution of monomers from two conventional dental composite materials. Dent Mater. 2007; 23: 1535-41.
27. Kingery WD. Introduction to ceramics. New York: Wiley; 1960. 28. Ghinea RG, Ugarte-Alvan L, Yebra A, Pecho OE, Paravina RD, Perez MDM. Influence of surface roughness on the color of dental-resin composites. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2011; 12: 552-62.
29. No IA, Kleist ULF, Rigdahl M. Color of pigmented plastics – measurements and predictions. Polym Plast Technol Eng. 2004; 44: 141-52.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.