Admission dental examination: protocol and its importance in the diagnosis of oral pathology
The aim of this paper is to describe an efficient clinical protocol used in admittance dental examinations, highlighting the importance of this evaluation in the diagnosis of oral pathologies. Two admission case reports in which gingival abscess and radiopaque apical lesion were found during the examination are presented for illustration purposes. A clinical examination in the admission inspection is the main factor for a good selection of treatment and prevention of future difficulties. The admission dental examination by means of a standardized clinical approach including clinical interview, physical examination and complementary exams, avoids the person to be admitted to the public service while having some pathology that might compromises his/her capacity of handling the selected function, preventing absenteeism for dental reasons and consequently a cost to the state and functional repercussion to the server.
2. Federal Council of Dentistry. Resolution n.º 63/2005, 2005 April 19. Available from: http://cfo.org.br/servicos-e-consultas/ato-normativo/ ?id=986.
3. Araujo ME, Gonini Jr A. Worker Oral Health: The Admissional and Periodical Examinations as an Information Health System. Odontol Soc. 1999; 1: 15-8.
4. Brazil. Ministry of Defense. Air Force Command. Health Direction. Bulletin n.º 200, 2006 October 27.
5. Brazil. Ministry of Defense. Navy Command. Education Direction. Announcement of the Selection Process for entry into the Marine Health Corps, Annex V, 2007 December 30.
6. Brazil. Rio Grande do Sul State. Complementary Law n.º 10.098, 1994 February 03. Available from: http: //www.al.rs.gov.br/Legis/normas/ 10098.pdf.
7. Brazil. Rio Grande do Sul State. Complementary Law n.º 11.836,2002 October 21. Available from: http: //www.al.rs.gov.br/Legis/Arquivos/ 11.836.pdf.
8. Petruzzi MNMR, Salum FG, Cherubini K, Figueiredo MAZ. Epidemiological characteristics and HIV-related oral lesions observed in patients from a Southern Brazilian city. Rev Odonto Cienc. 2012; 27: 115-20.
9. Ghosh S, Gadda RB, Vengal M, Pai KM, Balachandran C, Rao R et al. Oro-facial aspects of leprosy: Report of two cases with literature review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2010; 15: E459-62.
10. DeBowes SL, Tolle SL, Bruhn AM. Parkinson’s disease: considerations for dental hygienists. Int J Dent Hyg. 2012; 11: 15-21.
11. Arakeri G, Kusanale A, Zaki GA, Brennan PA. Pathogenesis of posttraumatic ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint: a critical review. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 50: 8-12.
12. Garg K, Devi P, Thimmarasa VB, Mehrotra V. Osteomyelitis of the mandible as a complicating factor in paget’s disease: A case report. Indian J Dent. 2012; 3: 110-7.
13. Girardi FM, Scroferneker ML, Gava V, Pruinelli R. Head and Neck Manifestations of Paracoccidioidomycosis: An Epidemiological Study of 36 Cases in Brazil. Mycopathologia. 2012; 173: 139-44.
14. Santos PSS, Pinto MF, Guimarães Neto JA. Occupational Dentistry in the hospital setting. Rev Odonto Cienc. 2008; 23: 307-10.
15. Federal Council of Dentistry. Resolution n.º 87/2009. Available from: http://cfo.org.br/servicos-e-consultas/ato-normativo/?id=1356.
16. Bishop JA. Atlas of Oral and Maxillofacial Histopathology. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013; 37: 152.
17. Costa DO, Maurício AS, Faria PA, Silva LE, Mosqueda-Taylor A, Lourenço SQ. Odontogenic tumors: a retrospective study of four Brazilian diagnostic pathology centers. Med Oral Pathol Oral Cir Bucal. 2012; 17: e389-94.
18. Capelas J A, Albuquerque B, Paulo S, Ferreira MM, Ginjeira A. Glossary of Endodontic Terms.– Part II. Rev Port Estomatol Cir Maxilofac. 2008; 49: 57-62.
19. Neelakandan RS, Deshpande A, Krithika C, Bhargava D. Maxillary cementoblastoma - a rarity. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 16: 119-21.
20. Velloso LFN, Ferreira LACN, Perro Filho MJT, Caiafa JS. Health investigation for admittance to active navy service: importance of systematized clinical examination and repercussion at short, medium and long term of selection. Arq Bras Med Nav. 1989; 50: 151-60.
21. Brazil. Law n.º 11.907, 2009 February 2. Available from: http:// www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2007-2010/2009/Lei/L11907.htm.
22. Brazil. Rio Grande do Sul State. Law n.º 10.559, 1995 October 19. Available from: http://www.al.rs.gov.br/LegisComp/Arquivos/ Lei%20n%C2%BA%2010.559.pdf.
23. Brazil. Ministry of Labour and Employment - Department of Safety and Health at Work. Regulatory Standard 7 (NR 7), 1978 July 06. Available from: http://www.mte.gov.br/legislacao/normas_regulamentadoras/ nr_07_at.pdf.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.