Conservative treatment of the dentigerous cyst: report of two cases
The purpose of this paper is to present two cases of dentigerous cyst associated to permanent teeth in children treated by conservative techniques. Dentigerous cyst is the most common developmental cysts of the jaws. Conservative treatment is very effective to this entity and aims at eliminating the cystic tissue and preserving the permanent tooth involved in the pathology. Two techniques are described as conservative treatment for these cysts, marsupialization and the decompression. Two children presented with dentigerous cysts. A female child was affected by a large lesion at the right side of the mandible associated to tooth 45. The other lesion arose at the left maxilla associated to tooth 21 of a male child. Each dentigerous cyst promoted severe tooth displacement. The first patient was treated with decompression and the second with marsupialization.
2. Pinheiro RS, Castro GF, Roter M, Netto R, Meirelles V Jr, Janini ME, et al. An unusual dentigerous cyst in a young child. Gen Dent. 2013; 61: 62-4.
3. Picciotti M, Divece L, Parrini S, Pettini M, Lorenzini G. Replantation of tooth involved in dentigerous cyst: a case report. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2012; 13: 349-51.
4. Marwah N, Bishen KA, Prabha V, Goenka P. A conservative approach in the management of inflammatory dentigerous cyst in transitional dentition: a case report. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2012; 13: 349-51.
5. Benn A, Altini M. Dentigerous cysts of inflammatory origin. A clinicopathologic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996; 81: 203-9.
6. de Matos FR, Nonaka CF, Pinto LP, de Souza LB, de Almeida Freitas R. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: retrospective study of 15 cases with emphasis on histopathologic features. Head Neck Pathol. 2012; 6: 430-7.
7. Lima GS, Fontes ST, de Araújo LM, Etges A, Tarquinio SB, Gomes AP. A survey of oral and maxillofacial biopsies in children: a single-center retrospective study of 20 years in Pelotas-Brazil. J Appl Oral Sci. 2008; 16: 397-402.
8. Hyomoto M, Kawakami M, Inoue M, Kirita T. Clinical conditions for eruption of maxillary canines and mandibular premolars associated with dentigerous cysts. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2003; 124: 515-20.
9. Horowitz RA, Giannasca PJ, Woodcock CL. Ultrastructural preservation of nuclei and chromatin: improvement with low-temperature methods. J Microsc. 1990; 157: 205-24.
10. Benichou G, Tonsho M, Tocco G, Nadazdin O, Madsen JC. Innate immunity and resistance to tolerogenesis in allotransplantation. Front Immunol. 2012; 3: 73.
11. Gervasio AM, Silva DA, Taketomi EA, Souza CJ, Sung SS, Loyola AM. Levels of GM-CSF, IL-3, and IL-6 in fluid and tissue from human radicular cysts. J Dent Res. 2005; 81: 64-8.
12. Takagi S, Koyama S. Guided eruption of an impacted second premolar associated with a dentigerous cyst in the maxillary sinus of a 6-year-old child. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999; 56: 237-45.
13. Miyawaki S, Hyomoto M, Tsubauchi J. Eruption speed and rate of angulation change of a cyst-associated mandibular second premolar after marsupialization of a dentigerous cyst. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 1999; 116: 578-84.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.