Combined therapy with mineral trioxide aggregate, and guided tissue regeneration for a large radicular cyst: a 13-year follow-up
Biomaterials such as membrane barriers and/or bone grafts are often used to enhance periapical new bone formation. A combination of apical surgery and these biomaterials is one of the latest treatment options for avoiding tooth extraction. In case of periapical lesions, guided tissue regeneration (GTR) is attempted to improve the self-regenerative healing process by excluding undesired proliferation of the gingival connective tissue or migration of the oral epithelial cells into osseous defects. In many cases, GTR is necessary for achieving periodontal tissue healing. This report describes the healing process after surgery in a challenging case with a long-term followup. In this case report, endodontic surgery was followed by retrograde sealing with mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) in the maxillary right central incisor and left lateral incisor. Apicectomy was performed in the maxillary left central incisor and a 1-mm filling was removed. The bone defect was filled with an anorganic bone graft and covered with a decalcified cortical osseous membrane. No intraoperative or postoperative complications were observed. After 13 years of follow-up, the patient showed no clinical signs or symptoms associated with the lesion and radiographic examination showed progressive resolution of radiolucency. In conclusion, the combination of apical surgery and regenerative techniques can successfully help the treatment of periapical lesions of endodontic origin and is suitable for the management of challenging cases.
2. Martin SA. Conventional endodontic therapy of upper central incisor combined with cyst decompression: a case report. J Endod. 2007; 33: 753-7.
3. Lin L, Chen MY, Ricucci D, Rosenberg PA. Guided tissue regeneration in periapical surgery. J Endod. 2010; 36: 618-25.
4. Cintra LT, de Moraes IG, Estrada BP, Gomes-Filho JE, Bramante CM, Garcia RB et al. Evaluation of the tissue response to MTA and MBPC: Microscopic analysis of implants in alveolar bone of rats. J Endod. 2006; 32: 556-9.
5. Gomes-Filho JE, de Moraes Costa MT, Cintra LT, Lodi CS, Duarte PC, Okamoto R et al. Evaluation of alveolar socket response to Angelus MTA and experimental light-cure MTA. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 110: e93-7.
6. Gomes-Filho JE, de Moraes Costa MM, Cintra LT, Duarte PC, Takamiya AS, Lodi CS et al. Evaluation of rat alveolar bone response to Angelus MTA or experimental light-cured mineral trioxide aggregate using fluorochromes. J Endod 2011; 37: 250-4.
7. Bernabé PF, Gomes-Filho JE, Rocha WC, Nery MJ, Otoboni-Filho JA, Dezan-Júnior E. Histological evaluation of MTA as a root-end filling material. Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 758-65.
8. Douthitt JC, Gutmann JL, Witherspoon DE. Histologic assessment of healing after the use of a bioresorbable membrane in the management of buccal bone loss concomitant with periradicular surgery. J Endod. 2001; 27: 404-10.
9. Song M, Jung IY, Lee SJ, Lee CY, Kim E. Prognostic factors for clinical outcomes in endodontic microsurgery: a retrospective study. J Endod. 2011; 37: 927-33.
10. Rud J, Andreasen JO, Jensen JE. A follow-up study of 1,000 cases treated by endodontic surgery. Int J Oral Surg. 1972; 1: 215-28.
11. Gutman J, Harrison J. Surgical endodontics. Cambridge: Blackwell Scientific; 1991. p.355-7.
12. Britain SK, Arx T, Schenk RK, Buser D, Nummikoski P, Cochran DL. The use of guided tissue regeneration principles in endodontic surgery for induced chronic periodontic-endodontic lesions: a clinical, radiographic, and histologic evaluation. J Periodontol. 2005; 76: 450-60.
13. Von Arx T, Britain S, Cochran DL, Schenk RK, Nummikoski P, Buser D. Healing of periapical lesions with complete loss of the buccal bone plate: a histologic study in the canine mandible. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2003; 23: 157-67.
14. Nandlal B, Daneswari V. Restoring biological width in crown-root fracture: a periodontal concern. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2007; 25 (Suppl): S20-4.
15. Taschieri S, Corbella S, Tsesis I, Bortolin M, Del Fabbro M. Effect of guided tissue regeneration on the outcome of surgical endodontic treatment of through-and-through lesions: a retrospective study at 4-year follow-up. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 15: 153-9.
16. Gagnon K, Morand MA. [Guided tissue regeneration in endodontics. [Part 1]. J Can Dent Assoc. 1999; 65: 394-8.
17. Pecora G, Baek SH, Rethnam S, Kim S. Barrier membrane techniques in endodontic microsurgery. Dent Clin North Am. 1997; 41: 585-602.
18. Artzi Z, Wasersprung N, Weinreb M, Steigmann M, Prasad HS, Tsesis I. Effect of guided tissue regeneration on newly formed bone and cementum in periapical tissue healing after endodontic surgery: an in vivo study in the cat. J Endod. 2012; 38: 163-9.
19. Taschieri S, Del Fabbro M, Testori T, Saita M, Weinstein R. Efficacy of guided tissue regeneration in the management of through-and-through lesions following surgical endodontics: a preliminary study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2008; 28: 265-71.
20. Rosetti EP, Marcantonio RA, Cirelli JA, Zuza EP, Marcantonio E Jr. Treatment of gingival recession with collagen membrane and DFDBA: a histometric study in dogs. Braz Oral Res. 2009; 23: 307-12.
21. Arikan F, Becerik S, Sonmez S, Gurhan I. Effect of platelet-rich plasma on gingival and periodontal ligament fibroblasts: new in-vitro growth assay. Braz J Oral Sci. 2007; 6: 1432-7.
22. Kaur M, Ramakrishnan T, Amblavanan N, Emmadi P. Effect of plateletrich plasma and bioactive glass in the treatment of intrabony defects – a split-mouth study in humans. Braz J Oral Sci. 2010; 9: 108-14.
23. Rothamel D, Schwarz F, Herten M, Ferrari D, Mischkowski RA, Sager M, et al. Vertical ridge augmentation using xenogenous bone blocks: a histomorphometric study in dogs. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2009; 24: 243-50.
24. Sallum EA, Pereira LSS, Caffesse RG, Nociti FH, Casatti MZ, Sallum, AW. GTR in class III furcation defects with resorbable polylactic acid membranes. A histomorphometric study in dogs. Braz J Oral Sci. 2002; 1: 76-83.
25. Markou N, Pepelassi E, Kotsovilis S, Vrotsos I, Vavouraki H, Stamatakis HC. The use of platelet-rich plasma combined with demineralized freezedried bone allograft in the treatment of periodontal endosseous defects: a report of two clinical cases. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010; 141: 967-78.
26. Grunder U, Wenz B, Schupbach P. Guided bone regeneration around single-tooth implants in the esthetic zone: a case series. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2011; 31: 613-20.
27. Tsesis I, Rosen E, Tamse A, Taschieri S, Del Fabbro M. Effect of guided tissue regeneration on the outcome of surgical endodontic treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2011; 37: 1039-45.
28. Bernabé PF, Melo LG, Cintra LT, Gomes-Filho JE, Dezan Jr E, Nagata MJ. Bone healing in critical-size defects treated with either bone graft, membrane, or a combination of both materials: a histological and histometric study in rat tibiae. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012; 23: 384-8.
29. Kahler B. Microsurgical endodontic retreatment of a maxillary molar with a separated file: a case report. Aust Dent J. 2011 Mar; 56(1): 76-81.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.