Orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst – critical appraisal of a distinct entity
The orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst (OOC) is a rare developmental jaw cyst. Recognition of OOC as a unique entity has long been due, yet its inexplicable radiographic presentation resembling dentigerous cyst, histological likeness to odontogenic keratocyst (OKC) and inconsistent cytokeratin expression profiles overlapping with both as well as with the epidermis, makes it rather confounding. Diagnosis of OOC is important as the pathologic behavior, clinical outcome and the surgical management of OOC is disparate. This is the report of a case of OOC in relation to an impacted mandibular third molar and critical review of this entity with an emphasis on its biologic characteristics is highlighted.
2. Li TJ, Kitano M, Chen XM, Itoh T, Kawashima K, Sugihara K et al. Orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study of 15 cases. Histopathology. 1998; 32: 242-51.
3. Yoshida H, Onizawa K, Yusa H. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in association with an orthokeratinized odontogenic keratocyst. Report of a case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996; 54: 647-51.
4. de Fatima BV, de Lacerda JC, de Aguiar MC, Gomez RS. Calcifying odontogenic cyst associated with an orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst. Head Neck Pathol. 2008; 2: 324-7.
5. Fregnani ER, Da Cruz Perez DE, Soares FA, Alves FA Synchronous ameloblastoma and orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst of the mandible. J Oral Pathol Med. 2006; 35: 573-25.
6. Ide F, Saito I, Horie N, Shimoyama T. Orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst of the mandible with heterotopic cartilage. Head Face Med. 2009; 3: 150-2.
7. Oenning ACC, Rivero ERC, Calvo MCM, Meurer, Grando LJ. Braz Oral Res. 2012; 26: 355-9.
8. Azevedo RS, Cabral MG, Santos TCRBD, de Oliveira AV, de Almeida OP, Pires FR. Histopathological features of odontogenic tumor: A descriptive study of 177 cases from a Brazilian population. Int J Surg Pathol. 2012; 20: 154-60.
9. Browne RM. The odontogenic keratocyst. Histological features and their correlation with clinical behavior. Br Dent J. 1971; 131: 249-59.
10. Dong Q, Pan S, Sun LS, Li TJ. Orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst: a Clinicopathologic study of 61 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010; 134: 271-5.
11. da Silva MJ, de Sousa SO, Correa L, Carvalhosa AA, de Araujo VC. Immunohistochemical study of the orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst: a comparison with the odontogenic keratocyst. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Radiol Endod. 2002; 94: 732-7.
12. Agaraki T, Michi Y, Katsube K, Uzawa N, Okada N, Akashi T et al. Comprehensive keratin profiling reveals different histopathogenesis of keratocystic odontogenic tumour and orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst. Hum Pathol. 2010; 41: 1718-25.
13. Meara JG, Pilch BZ, Shah SS, Cunningham MJ. Cytokeratin expression in the odontogenic keratocyst. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 58: 862-6.
14. Koizumi Y. Odontogenic keratocyst, orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst and epidermal cyst: an immunohistochemical study including markers of proliferation, cytokeratin and apoptosis related factors. Int J Oral-Med Sci. 2004; 2: 14-22.
15. Thosaporn W, Iamaroon A, Pongsiriwet S, Ng KH. A comparative study of epithelial cell proliferation between the odontogenic keratocyst, orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst, dentigerous cyst and ameloblastoma. Oral Dis. 2004; 10: 22-6.
16. Stoll C. Stollenwerk C, Riediger D, Mittermayer C, Alfer J. Cytokeratin expression patterns for distinction of odontogenic keratocysts from dentigerous and radicular cysts. J Oral Pathol Med. 2005; 34: 558-64.
17. Amaral FR, Mateus GCP, Bonisson LA, de Andrade BAB, Mesquita RA, Horta MCR, et al. Cell proliferation and apoptosis in ameloblastomas and keratocystic tumors. Braz Dent J. 2012; 23: 91-6.
18. Nadalin MR, Fregnani ER, Silva-Sousa YRC, Perez DE. Syndecan-1 (CD138) and Ki-67 expression in odontogenic cystic lesions. Braz Dent J. 2011; 22: 223-9.
19. Goncalves CK, Fregnani ER, Leon JE, Silva-Sousa YRC, Perez DE. Immunohistochemical expression of p63, epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and notch-1 in radicular cysts, dentigerous cysts and keratocystic odontogenic tumors. Braz Dent J. 2012; 23: 337-43.
20. Morgan TA, Burton CC, Qian F. A retrospective review of treatment of the odontogenic keratocyst. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 635-9.
21. Madras J, Lapointe H. Keratocystic odontogenic tumour: reclassification of the odontogenic keratocyst from cyst to tumour. J Can Dent Assoc. 2008; 74: 165-165h.
22. Zhao YF, Wei JX, Wang SP. Treatment of odontogenic keratocysts: a follow-up of 255 Chinese patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 94: 151-6.
23. Deboni MCZ, Brozoski MA, Traina AA, Acay RR, Naclerio-Homem M. Surgical management of dentigerous cyst and keratocystic odontogenic tumor in children: a conservative approach and 7-year follow-up. J Appl Oral Sci. 2012; 20: 268-71.
24. Vuhahula E, Nikai H, Ijuhin N, Ogawa I, Takata T, Koseki T, et al. Jaw cysts with orthokeratinization: analysis of 12 cases. J Oral Pathol Med. 1993; 22: 35-40.
25. Allon DM, Calderon S, Kaplan I. Intraosseous compound-type dermoid cyst of the jaw. Int J Head Neck Surg. 2010; 1: 103-6.
26. Zhang JY, Dong Q, Li TJ. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 40: 1296–300.
27. Montebugnoli L, Tiberio C, Venturi M. A rare case of congenital epidermoid cyst of hard palate. BMJ Case Rep. 2011; 4485: 1-4.
28. Singh V, Gupta S, Jaiswal R, Malkunje L. Intra osseous dermoid cyst of mandible – a rare case report. Open journal of stomatology. 2012; 2: 153-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.