Dental caries in children on deciduous dentition: ART and socioeconomic aspect
Aim: Determine the prevalence and incidence of dental caries in children´s deciduous teeth, who were treated with ART technique. Methods: In T1, 62 children were examined for being between 3 and 6 years of age. A questionnaire was applied to the parents or guardians of the children involved in the research, to analyze their knowledge about eating habits and oral hygiene. An intra-oral examination of children from 3 to 6 years old was carried out and dental treatment was performed by the ART technique. Six months after,(T2), the clinical examination was redone to investigate the stability of restorations. Results: In T1, 94 caries cavities were found in 19 children and 86 were recommended for restoration with ART. In T2, 58 restorations were damaged or lost and 15 children had 20 new caries cavities. Conclusion: The prevalence of dental caries in the deciduous dentition was 38.8% and the incidence was 31.9%. In T2, the majority restorations class I and II were damaged or lost. ART technique is an option, despite the high failure in ART, especially for child population with deciduous teeth that has limited access to dental services. However, restorations should be supervised and healthy eating habits implemented.
2. Oliveira LB, Moreira RS, Reis SCGB, Freire MCM. Dental caries in 12-year-old schoolchildren: multilevel analysis of individual and school environment factors in Goiânia. Rev Bras Epidemiol. 2015 Jul-Sep;18(3):642-54. doi:10.1590/1980-5497201500030010.
3. Scalioni FAR, Figueiredo SR, Curcio WB, Alves RT, Leite ICG, Ribeiro RA. [Early Childhood Dietary and Caries Habits in Children Attended by Brazilian Dentistry School]. Pesq Bras Odontoped Clin Integr. 2012;12(3):399-404. doi: 10.4034/PBOCI.2012.123.16. Portuguese.
4. Santos APP, Soviero VM. [Assessment of the quality of oral hygiene in infants and preschool children: importance and methods: literature review]. Rev Clín Pesq Odontol. 2008;4(2):87-92. Portuguese.
5. Moura LFA, Moura, M. S, Toledo OA. [Knowledge and practices in oral health of mothers who attended a dental program of maternal and child care]. Cienc Saude Colet. 2007; 12(4):1079-1086. doi: 0.1590/S1413-81232007000400029. Portuguese.
6. Aquilante AG, Almeida BS, Castro RFM, Xavier CRG, Peres SHCS, Bastos JRM. [The importance of dental health education for preschool children]. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2003;32(1):39-45. Portuguese.
7. Souza LM, Macedo A, Gusmão RCMP, Athayde ACR, Costa LED, Queiroz FS, et al. [Oral Health in School and Family: from Autonomy to Social Transformation]. Rev Bras Educ Med. 2015;39(3):426-32. Portuguese.
8. Navarro MFL, Leal SC, Molina GF, Villena RS. [Atraumatic Restorative Treatment: news and perspectives]. Rev Assoc Paul Cir Dent. 2015;69(3):289-301. Portuguese.
9. Garbin CAS, Sundfeld RH, Santos KT, Cardoso JD. [Current Aspects of Atraumatic Restorative Treatment]. RFO. 2008;13(1):25-9. Portuguese.
10. Santos MMPR, Mathias IF, Diniz MB, Bresciani E. [Evaluation of the surface hardness of glass ionomer cements reinforced by carbon nanotubes]. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2015;44(2):108-12. doi: 10.1590/1807-2577.1060. Portuguese.
11. Ferreira LL, Ferreira-Nóbilo NP, Gibilini C, Sousa MLR. Longevity of atraumatic restorations performed by undergraduate dentistry students. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2014;43(4):241-4. doi: 10.1590/rou.2014.039.
12. Aguiar YPC, Dantas DCRE, Ribeiro AIAM, Lima RF, Sousa YC, Guênes GMT. [Clinical evaluation of glass ionomer restorations in children]. RFO.2014;19(1):70-6. doi: 10.5335/rfo.v19i1.3628. Portuguese.
13. Castilho ARF, Mialhe FL, Barbosa TS, Puppin-Rontani RM. In uence of the family environment on the oral health of children: a systematic review. J Pediatr. 2013;89(2):116-23. doi: 10.1016/j.jped.2013.03.014.
14. Lemos LVFM, Zuanon ACC, Myaki SI, Walter LRF. [Experience of dental caries in children attended in a program of Dentistry for babies]. Einstein. 2011;9(4):503-7. doi: 10.1590/S1679-45082011AO2184. Portuguese.
15. Robles ACC, Grosseman S, Bosco VL. [Practices and meanings of oral health: a qualitative study with mothers of children attended at the Federal University of Santa Catarina]. Cienc Saude Colet. 2010;15(Suppl 2):3271-81. doi: 10.1590/S1413-81232010000800033. Portuguese.
16. Almeida AL, Barbosa AMF, Menezes VA, Granville-Garcia AF. [Caries experience among mothers and children: in uence of socioeconomic and behavioral factors]. Odontol Clín Cient. 2011;10(4):373-9. Portuguese.
17. Ribeiro AG, Oliveira A F, Rosenblatt A. [Early childhood caries: prevalence and risk factors in preschool children at 48 months in the city of João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil]. Cad Saude Pública. 2005;21(6):1695-700. doi: 10.1590/S0102-311X2005000600016. Portuguese.
18. Lemos LVFM, Correia MF, Spolidório DMP, Myaki DMP, Zuanon ACC. [Cariogenicity of Breast Milk: Myth or Scienti c Evidence]. Pesq Bras Odontoped Clin Integr. 2012;12(2):273-8.
doi: 10.4034/PBOCI.2012.122.18. Portuguese.
19. Feitosa S, Colares V. [The Repercussions of Early Childhood Caries in the Quality of Life of Pre-School Children]. Rev Ibero-Am Odontopediatr Odontol Bebê. 2003;6(34):542-8. Portuguese.
20. Losso EM, Tavares MCR, Silva JYB, Urban CA. [Early and severe childhood caries: an integral approach]. J Pediatr. 2009;85(4):295-300. doi: 10.1590/S0021-75572009000400005. Portuguese.
21. Rigo L, Souza EA, Junior, AFC. [Experience of dental caries in the rst dentition in a municipality with water uoridation]. Rev Bras Saúde Matern Infant. 2009;9(4):435-42. doi: 10.1590/S1519-38292009000400008. Portuguese.
22. Raggio DP, Imperato JCP, Politlano GT, Echeverria SR, Uemura ST, Ferreira EMS. [Atraumatic Restorative Treatment]. RGO. 2004;52(5):355-8. Portuguese.
23. Pazuch J, Zottis M, Perussolo B, Patussi EG, Pavinato LCB, Bervian J. [Evaluation of the clinical performance of ART restorations (Atraumatic Restorative Treatment)]. RFO. 2014;19(1):88-93. doi: 10.5335/rfo.v19i1.3694. Portuguese.
24. Sales Peres SHC, Hussne R, Perer AS. [Atraumatic Restorative Treatment (ART) in children aged
4 to 7 years: clinical evaluation after six months]. Rev. Inst Ciênc Saúde. 2005;23(4):275-80. Portuguese.
25. Eleutério ASL, Cota ALS, KOBAYASHI TY, Silva SMB. [Clinical Evaluation of Oral Health of Children of the Municipalities of Alfenas and Areado, Minas Gerais, Brazil]. Pesq Bras Odontoped Clin Integr. 2012;12(2):195-201. doi: 10.4034/PBOCI.2012.122.07. Portuguese.
26. Deliberali FD, Brusco EHC, Brusco L, Perussolo B, Patussi EG. [Behavioral factors involved in the development of early caries in children attended at the Pediatric Dentistry Clinic of the School of Dentistry of Passo Fundo - RS, Brazil]. RFO. 2009;14(3):197-202. Portuguese.
27. Goes MF, Martins AL, Sartori CG, Sinhoreti MAC. [Solubility of glass ionomer cements indicated for Atraumatic Restorative Treatment]. Rev Assoc Paul Cir Dent. 2015;69(3):272-8. Portuguese.
28. Yip HK, Smales RJ. Tay FR. Chu FCS. Selection of restorative material for the atraumatic restorative treatment (ART) approach: a review. Spec Care Dentist. 2001;21(6):216-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1754-4505.2001.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.