Gingival peripheral odontoma in a child: case report of an uncommon lesion
Odontoma in an extraosseous location represents a challenge for diagnosis. This article reports a case of peripheral odontoma and its clinical presentation, histological evaluation and treatment. A 12-year-old boy reported a firm asymptomatic gingival mass in the anterior maxilla with two years of evolution. The procedures for diagnosis included intraoral examination, excisional biopsy and histological analysis. The diagnosis was peripheral odontoma. The follow-up revealed no sign of recurrence. Peripheral odontoma is rare and the differential diagnosis with other gingival masses is rather difficult and must include inflammatory and reactive processes. The definitive diagnosis is based on microscopic features.
2. Ledesma-Montes C, Perez-Bache A, Garces-Ortiz M. Gingival compound odontoma, Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996; 25: 296-7.
3. Kaugars GE, Miller ME, Abbey LM., Odontomas. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1989; 67: 172-6.
4. Buchner A, Sciubba JJ. Peripheral epithelial odontogenic tumors: a review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1987; 63: 688-97.
5. Manor Y, Mardinger O, Katz J, Taicher S, Hirshberg A. Peripheral odontogenic tumours—differential diagnosis in gingival lesions. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 33: 268-73.
6. Junquera L, de Vicente JC, Roig P, Olay S, Rodriguez-Recio O. Intraosseous odontoma erupted into the oral cavity: an unusual pathology. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2005; 10: 248-51.
7. Castro GW, Houston G, Weyrauch C. Peripheral odontoma: report of case and review of literature, ASDC J Dent Child. 1994; 61: 209-13.
8. Giunta JL, Kaplan MA, Peripheral, soft tissue odontomas. Two case reports. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1990; 69: 406-11.
9. Swan RH. Odontomas. A review, case presentation and periodontal considerations in treatment. J Periodontol. 1987; 58: 856-60.
10. Ide F, Shimoyama T, Horie N. Gingival peripheral odontoma in an adult: case report. J Periodontol. 2000; 71: 830-2.
11. Vuletin JC, Solomon MP, Pertschuk LP. Peripheral odontogenic tumor with ghost-cell keratinization. A histologic, fluorescent microscopic, and ultrastructural study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1978; 45: 406-15.
12. Orsini G, Fioroni M, Rubini C, Piattelli A. Peripheral calcifying odontogenic cyst. J Clin Periodontol. 2002; 29: 83-6.
13. Tanaka A, Okamoto M, Yoshizawa D, Ito S, Alva PG, Ide F, Kusama K. Presence of ghost cells and the Wnt signaling pathway in odontomas, J Oral Pathol Med. 2007; 36: 400-4.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.