Do aesthetics dental needs interfere in the oral health-related quality of life and in the self-steem of patients seeking for treatment at University São Francisco Dental School?
Aim: The objective was to evaluate oral health-related quality of life (OHRQOL) in patients aging 18 - 60 years, considering oral health, dental aesthetic impact and self-esteem. Methods: The sample comprised 81 patients, regardless gender/ ethnicity, seeking for dental aesthetic treatment at University São Francisco, Bragança Paulista-SP. The instruments used to assess the OHRQOL were the questionnaires: 1. Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale (RSS); 2. Oral Health Impact Pro le-14 Brazil (OHIP) and 3. Psychosocial Impact and Aesthetic Dental Questionnaire-Brazil (PIADQ). Data were analyzed by Spearman correlation (α=5%) and descriptive statistics. Results: The older the patient the worse the oral and general health conditions found (p<0.05). Moreover, the age showed signi cant correlation with OIHP and PIADQ questionnaires scores (p=0.000). The three questionnaires showed moderate positive correlations (p<0.05 r=0.461–0.685) among them. In addition, OHIP and QIPED questionnaires correlated with general health and oral health (p<0.05 r=0.230–0.558). Conclusion: It could be concluded that aesthetic dental needs interfere, in fact, in the oral health-related quality of life and in the self-steem of patients seeking for treatment University São Francisco Dental School.
2. Dantas RAS, Sawada NO, Malerbo NB. [Research on quality of life: review on the scienti c production of public universities in São Paulo State]. Rev Latino Am Enfermagem. 2003; 11(4):532-8. doi: 10.1590/S0104-11692003000400017. Portuguese.
3. Alderman AK, Wilkins EG, Lowery JC, Kim M, Davis JA. Determinants of patient satisfaction in posmastectomy breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Sep;106(4):769-76.
4. Castro RA, Portela MC, Leão AT. [Cross-cultural adaptation of quality of life indices for oral health]. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23(10):2275-84. doi: 10.1590/S0102-311X2007001000003. Portuguese.
5. Tesch FC, Oliveira BH, Leão A. [Measuring the impact of oral health problems on children’s quality of life: conceptual and methodological issues]. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23(11):2555-64. doi: 10.1590/S0102-311X2007001100003. Portuguese.
6. Ware JE Jr, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item Short-form Health Survey (SF-36): conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care. 1992 Jun;30(6):473-83.
7. Bin Mubayrik A, Al Hamdan R, Al Hadlaq EM, AlBagieh H, AlAhmed D, Jaddoh H, et al. Self-perception, knowledge, and awareness of halitosis among female university students. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2017 May 26;9:45-52. doi: 10.2147/CCIDE.S129679.
8. Baâdoudi F, Trescher A, Duijster D, Maskrey N, Gabel F, van der Heijden GJ, et al. A Consensus- Based Set of Measures for Oral Health Care. J Dent Res. 2017 Apr 1:22034517702331.
9. Brondani MA, Bryant SR, MacEntee MI. Elders assessment of an evolving model of oral health. Gerodontology. 2007 Dec;24(4):189-95. doi:10.1111/j.1741-2358.2007.00186.x
10. Chalmers JM. Oral health promotion for our ageing Australian population. Aust Dent J. 2003 Mar;48(1):2-9. doi:10.1111/j.1834-7819.2003. tb00001.x
11. Tsakos G, Sabbah W, Chandola T, Newton T, Kawachi I, Aida J, et al. Social relationships and oral health among adults aged 60 years or older. Psychosom Med. 2013 Feb;75(2):178-86. doi:10.1097/PSY.0b013e31827d221b.
12. Rouxel P, Tsakos G, Chandola T, Watt RG. Oral health—a neglected aspect of subjective well-being in later life. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sc. 2016 Mar 12. pii: gbw024. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbw024
13. Kiyak HA. Does orthodontic treatment affect patients’ quality of life? J Dent Educ. 2008 Aug;72(8):886-94.
14. Dini GM, Quaresma MR, Ferreira LM. [Translation into portuguese, cultural adaptation and validation of the Rosenberg self-esteem scale]. Rev Soc Bras Cir Plast. 2004 Jan-Apr;19(1):41-52. Portuguese.
15. Oliveira BH, Nadanovsky P. Psychometric properties of the Brazilian version of the Oral Health Impact Pro le-short form. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2005 Aug;33(4):307-14.
16. Vieira LC. [Translation, adaptation and cultural validation of the face and content of Psychosocial Impact of Dental Questionnaire for Aesthetics in Brazil] [thesis]. São Paulo: Universidade Federal de São Paulo; 2010. 149p. Portuguese.
17. Colussi CF, Freitas SFT. [Epidemiological aspects of oral health among the elderly in Brazil]. Cad. Saude Publica. 2002 Sep-Oct;18(5):1313-20. doi: 10.1590/S0102-311X2002000500024. Portuguese.
18. Sáez-Prado B, Haya-Fernández MC, Sanz-García MT. Oral health and quality of life in the municipal senior citizen ́s social clubs for people over 65 of Valencia, Spain. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2016 Nov 1;21(6):e672-e678.
19. Freires IA, Avilés-Reyes A, Kitten T, Simpson-Haidaris PJ, Swartz M, Knight PA, et al. Heterologous expression of Streptococcus mutans Cnm in Lactococcus lactis promotes intracellular
invasion, adhesion to human cardiac tissues and virulence. Virulence. 2017 Jan 2;8(1):18-29.
20. Shinkai, RSA, Cury DB. [The role of dentistry in the interdisciplinary team: contributing to comprehensive health care for the elderly]. Cad. Saude Publica. 2000;16(4):1099-109. doi: 10.1590/S0102-311X2000000400028. Portuguese.
21. Medeiros UV, Abreu CMW. [Protocol of buccal health promotion in companies]. Rev Bras Odontol. 2006;63(1/2):29-32. Portuguese.
22. Maciel SMM, Kornis GEM. [Orthodontics in oral public health policies: an example of equity in Juiz de Fora Federal University]. Physis. 2006;16(1):59-81. doi: 10.1590/S0103-73312006000100005. Portuguese.
23. Almeida RF, Pinho MM, Lima C, Faria I, Santos P, Bordalo C. [Association between periodontal disease and systemic pathologies]. Rev Port Clin Geral. 2006;22:379-90. Portuguese.
24. Friedman PK , Lamster IB. Tooth loss as a predictor of shortened longevity: exploring the hypothesis. Periodontol 2000. 2016 Oct;72(1):142-52. doi: 10.1111/prd.12128.
25. Vargas, AMD, Paixão, HH. [The loss of teeth and its meaning in the quality of life of adults who use the municipal oral health services of the Boa Vista Health Center, in Belo Horizonte]. Cienc Saude Colet. 2005 Oct-Dec;10(4):1015-24. doi: 10.1590/S1413-81232005000400024. Portuguese.
26. Bianco VC, Lopes ES, Borgato MH, Silva PM, Marta SN. [The impact on life quality due to oral conditions in people fty years or above]. Cienc Saude Colet. 2010 Jul;15(4):2165-72. doi: 10.1590/S1413-81232010000400030. Portuguese.
27. Luo XP. [Etiology, classi cation and systematic restorative treatment of tooth wear]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2016 Oct 9;51(10):577-582. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1002-0098.2016.10.001. Chinese.
28. Baldani, MH, Brito WH, Lawder JAC, Mendes YBE, Silva, FFM, Antunes JLF. [Individual determinants of dental care utilization among low-income adult and elderly individuals]. Rev Bras Epidemiol. 2010 Mar;13(1):150-62. doi: 10.1590/S1415-790X2010000100014.
29. Natapov L, Sasson A, Zusman SP. Does dental health of 6-year-olds re ect the reform of the Israeli dental care system? Isr J Health Policy Res. 2016 Oct 5;5:26.
30. Mezzalira MF, Conceição EN. [Aesthetic Rehabilitation with porcelain laminate] [monography]. Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. School of Dentistry; 2011 [Cited 2017 jul 10]. Available from: http://hdl.handle.net/10183/37714.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY. The online journal is free and open access.